Disappointed with new Bradley smoker.

Started by 2004COBRA, January 23, 2011, 08:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2004COBRA

I just bought a new Digital 4 Rack Bradley Smoker.  I was very excited about it and I have researched them online for about 2 years before buying one.  Friday I bought some ribs, brisket, and a Boston Butt/Pork Shoulder.  Saturday I fired up the smoker and the first thing I noticed is that it took forever to heat up.  Wow.  So then, I opened the door to put the ribs in and the temp dropped to about 150 degrees.  Yes, the ribs were kinda cold.  So about a hour or so later, it was still not even close to the 220 degree temp that I set it at.  The ribs took about 5 hours to smoke, then about another hour in the oven in the kitchen.  Today we are trying to smoke a pork butt and a brisket.  Same problem as yesterday, meat has been in the smoker for over a hour and its only at 185 degrees.  This is not what I expected when I spent over $500 on the smoker and wooden pucks.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.

GusRobin

Sorry you are disappointed. With the extent of experience on this forum that may be able to help. Where are you measuring the temp?. If the temp probe is above the meat you are probably getting a low reading. Most put a remote probe below the meat.

The meat acts as a heat sink. So if the meat is not close to room temp, it will soak up the heat. Also, when you fill the water bowl it should be with hot water. And you shouldn't peek. Ribs take about 5-6 hours on a good day. It is low and slow cooking.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Preheating helps.  Some folks put a couple of bricks in the bottom next to the water bowl in order to retain heat.  Also, use boiling hot water in the bowl.  Putting that much cold meat in a Bradley really knocks the heat down for some time.  Keep the vent open.  Contrary to what you might think, closing the vent impedes the heat rising.

5 hours on your ribs was not excessive.

Hang in there, that's why they call it "low and slow". :)

Welcome to the fourm too!

Edited--Sorry GR.

2004COBRA

Thanks guys for the quick responses.  I dont have a digital temp probe yet so I have to rely on the Bradley to tell me the internal temp.  I ordered the Maverick one but have not received it yet.  Also, I have opened the vent for about the past 10 minutes and the temp dropped 6 degrees already.  Maybe I opened it too much??  Today it is about 48 degrees outside. 

KyNola

You didn't open it too much I promise.  You need the moisture to escape or it will condensate on the inside top of the smoker and drip nasty black stuff all over your meat.  It will also prevent the heat from increasing.

Best advice I can give you is stop fixating on the Bradley telling you what the temp is in the tower.  They are known to be inaccurate, particularly when the meat first goes in.  As the meat comes up to temp, the swings in temps will decrease.

Just like anything new, there is a learning curve to the Bradley.  One other thing about that butt in there.  Somewhere along the way the internal temp of the butt is going to "stall" at around 160.  It will stay there for several hours.  Don't adjust anything.  During the "stall" period all of the fat and connective tissue in the butt is breaking down.  That's exactly what you want it to do.

I've had butts take as long as 25 hours.

mjdeez

Vent: For me it depends on the outside temperature and wind. If it is very cold or if it is windy, then I'd open it up exactly 1/2 way. Doesn't mean this is the right way, just the way I do it. Need to let smoke / moisture out but keep heat in. See below for an example of condensation that has dripped down on to my smoked meat loaf. I still ate it, black crud and all, and it was tasty.

Getting up to temp: If its really cold or windy out, its going to take longer to get up to temp, or it may never get there. If possible, put the smoker up against the house in a corner where the wind isn't cooling the smoker from the outside. Some set it up in their garage and vent the smoke outside.  I wish i could do this, but I can barely walk in my garage.

Smoke generator temp reading: I spent way too much time trying to figure out what the Bradley was capable of. Click on this link to see how long it takes to get up to temp with an outside temp of 56F and no cold meat inside. Notice that the (calibrated!) digital multi meter (DMM) w/ thermocouple is pretty close to the smoke generator reading.  Also notice how low the DMM / thermocouple reading dips a lot when the door is opened. This is the air temperature in the bradley 1" away from the Bradley's sensor which is mounted on the back inside of the unit. Because it is mounted on the back of the unit, the reading is essentially filtered and will not change as fast (due to thermal mass of the bradley).  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19496.msg237694#msg237694

One more tip, foil wrapped bricks. Take two regular bricks. Wrap in double layer heavy foil. Preheat in oven for 30-60 min at 350 or so. Put on the floor of the smoker next to the water bowl. Not on the "V" tray like I did in my pic.  I only re-wrapped mine for the first time last week after I caught my dog chewing on the foil after a pastrami smoke.  ;D

Make sure your "V" tray is oriented / installed correctly. Like  "V". Not like a "/\". I've seen people on this forum that had heating issues due to this problem.

Meat loaf w/ condensation drippings:

Foil bricks. But don't put them on the "V" tray like I did:

kelpiedg

Okay so I was very disappointed in my 4 rack digital also.  Here is what I found out,  my element took a crap, after being upset and finally getting a hold of the Bradley help desk they sent me a new one.  Now a couple of months later I have no heat problem, take today for example 32F this morning when I fired it up, took about 45 min. for it to come up to temperature (well not really took me that long to get my meat ready to go in so I am thinking the time was quicker just never paid attention) also a slight breeze going on out there, I do live in WY so take slight breeze as blowing about 5-10 MPH.  The new element solved all of my problems,  I think some one had mentioned a batch of bad elements, not sure but the new one has worked perfect and knock on wood I have not had any problems since.

GusRobin

Quote from: mjdeez on January 23, 2011, 10:29:04 AM
One more tip, foil wrapped bricks. Take two regular bricks. Wrap in double layer heavy foil. Preheat in oven for 30-60 min at 350 or so. Put in smoker where ever you can fit them. On a rack, on the "V" tray (left side right side), on the floor of the smoke box.  Foil on the "V" tray:

I would strongly recommend that you do not put anything on the V tray, bricks, foil anything. The tray is designed to allow heat up but more importantly to keep grease from "pooling" and to channel grease away from hot pucks, the SG burner, and the element. If you do anything to impact its designed operation you run a high risk of a grease fire.
My opinion, take it for what it is worth
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mjdeez

QuoteMy opinion, take it for what it is worth

Well taken. I didn't think my brick placement would be a problem but you are right... I really don't know.  I'll edit my post above to remove that part of it... I don't want to recommend something that may cause a fire.

Thanks.

beefmann

welcome to the forum,

a few things to watch for.

Temperature of the meat when it is put into the smoker.

did you preheat the box?

is both the main heater and smoke generator on? ( if both are on it helps to maintain the heat )

what was the load? the heaver the load in lbs or kgs  the more work the heaters has to work. example a 2 lb steak vs. a 10 lb brisket ( a 2 lb steak you  would see a temp closer to 210 and a 10 lb brisket would be close to 185  during the smoking and cooking process while the box temp will rise as the meat gets closer to being  done )

Quarlow

Quote from: 2004COBRA on January 23, 2011, 08:38:15 AM
I just bought a new Digital 4 Rack Bradley Smoker.  I was very excited about it and I have researched them online for about 2 years before buying one.  Friday I bought some ribs, brisket, and a Boston Butt/Pork Shoulder.  Saturday I fired up the smoker and the first thing I noticed is that it took forever to heat up.  Wow.  So then, I opened the door to put the ribs in and the temp dropped to about 150 degrees.  Yes, the ribs were kinda cold.  So about a hour or so later, it was still not even close to the 220 degree temp that I set it at.  The ribs took about 5 hours to smoke, then about another hour in the oven in the kitchen.  Today we are trying to smoke a pork butt and a brisket.  Same problem as yesterday, meat has been in the smoker for over a hour and its only at 185 degrees.  This is not what I expected when I spent over $500 on the smoker and wooden pucks.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much.
When you preheat the smoker put the SG on as well as the heat element.
The main method of cooking ribs is the 3-2-1 method, which means 3 hours cooking including how much smoke you like (probably 1 1/1 to 2 hours) then 2 hours wrapped in a double layer of foil with a splash of apple juice. And then 1 hour without foil and any sauce you like. So your ribs were on track.
Now your pork butt, you don't say how much it weighs but pork butt takes along time and we generally do them as an overnight smoke starting around 6pm to 8 pm and having them finish around 12 noon or so. Figure on about 12 hours for a smaller butt and up to 25 to 30 hours for a large butt. And just to reinforce the fact, this is low and slow cooking. Remeber you are cooking with less power than your wife's blowdryer has, it takes time.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

TestRocket

Hello 2004COBRA,

Don't give up on your Bradley to fast now because it is a great little smoker as you learn how to use it within its capabilities. First off its heating element is only 500 watts. That's like cooking with 5 each, 100 watt light bulbs so low and slow is what it does! It's all about timing and giving yourself plenty of time to cook low and slow until the IT of what you're cooking is just right! Doing ribs with the 3-2-1 method is 6 hours and they can be some of the best ribs you have ever done. Butts (7-8 lbs) for pulled pork can take 18-24 hours. So please don't give up to quickly and keep in mind we like to help. So if you have a question ask away!   ;D

Quarlow

P.S. ribs are a tricky thing to get right, so that is one that takes some time to perfect. Pork butts on the other hand are easy, they just take along time. I have not got ribs right yet but my pulled pork is to die for, IMH(humble)O.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

smokeitall

Quarlow

Ok nice catch SIA. If you use an extension cord on your smoker you want it to be as heavy as possible and as short as can be too. I have made a cord 15' long out of 12ga wire so as to have the least amp drop I can get. You also want to plug in to an outlet that is not being used by anything else or you will not get the power you need to run the smoker hot enough.

OBS
BBQ