melted insulation

Started by smokin420, January 23, 2011, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin420

well I just got my package from YardandPool_8 frogmats-2heat elements-2 fuses-2sensors and a Maverick ET 73.I am doing the double element mod to my DBS. So I pull off the back metal cover to find the foam insulation behind the heat element dark brown and crunchy like. It shrunk and cracked all around the bottom right behind the element.Is there some sort of heat foam I can buy?spray foam? I have a circulation fan now so hopefully that will keep the heat moving and away from the back wall.Any suggestions?
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer

GusRobin

Nit sure you need to do anything with it. Might want to talk to Bradley but I think some of that is normal.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

I would think if you could get some thin enough to go between the walls that "rocksol" would be a good replacement. It is a fire rated insulation and pretty clean to work with. I would wait for a few of our online pros to weigh in on this first.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

When I added my second element I found my insulation in the same condition you found yours. Mine was almost 5 years old at the time, but I'm sure the insulation melted long before I discovered it.

Don't be concerned, if you look closely you will see additional insulation in that area, it appears to be mineral wool insulation. After you put it back together, and run the smoker you will not notice any additional warmth to the touch, in that area on the back of the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lumpy

My BDS looked the same when I took it apart to do my 2nd heater install

smokin420

Well I'm not the only one i guess lol. Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to leave it alone then.Just hope it doesn't affect the wiring.Thanks again,I will have it back together and ready for the weekend.
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer

Habanero Smoker

If you have the high temperture wire you will be alright. I did my mod over 1.5 years ago, and haven't had any problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)