Which big Easy Oiless fryer or smoker/roaster

Started by dumoch126, January 24, 2011, 09:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumoch126

I have the Bradley smoker and plan on doing a 16lb bird for super bowl. I am deciding if I should buy the new oil free Charbroil turkey fryer. Is that the one everyhone refers to when smoking then finishing in the Big Easy?

Also, a recipe would help. I am going to Brine overnight, put in fridge, pat dry, etc. then smoke using the apple discs. How long should I smoke, at what temperature. Then when I put in the big easy, which one? and how long? any other help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Ka Honu

First, you're probably looking for the Big Easy Smoker, Roaster, & Grill (SRG).  The original Big Easy (TBE) is marginally able to handle a 16-pound turkey while the SRG can take a 22-25 pound bird and has other options (some smoke capability and a grill).

Smoking a turkey at relatively low temp (around 225o) until completion generally results in a "rubbery" skin.  When people on this forum refer to smoking a turkey and finishing in TBE or SRG, they generally are talking about smoking on the Bradley (or other "dedicated" smoker) for flavor and then finishing in TBE/SRG to crisp up the skin.  You can also use the smoke feature of the SRG but you'll get less smoke flavor in the result.

I would smoke the turkey for about 2-3 hours (depending on how much smoke taste you want) and then finish in the SRG until you reach your desired internal temperature.

classicrockgriller

The SRG has more options and bigger than the BE.

Works great!

TestRocket

I'll second what both of them (up there) said!

My Christmas turkey I rolled smoke for 6 hours!