Heat Elements

Started by Bradley (Head Office), January 25, 2011, 12:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: GusRobin on February 06, 2011, 11:41:48 AM
Brian,
I understand your comments,but it appears that there is an issue with the elements. I have been a Bradley owner since Dec 2009 and was a lurker on the forum for months before that. At no time did the amount of complaints regarding element failure reach the number that are appearing. In fact, I don't remember reading about any. I realize that this is not a scientific statistic. But it would seem that there is a problem with the newer Bradley's going into service recently and since it is a metal element it appears unlikely that it is a shipping /packaging problem.
While the overall failure rate is low, what if it were based upon units sold within the last 6 months or so. I think it may surprise you. While Bradley stands behind its product and provides the best Customer Service I have experienced, you can read the frustration in the people that have plans ruined due to element failures. I have a few acquaintances that have hung around the forum and want to buy a smoker. They are relunctant to do so until they hear a better response regarding a solution other than the failure numbers are low. It is like a recession - it is a small recession if your neighbor loses his job, its a deep depression if you lose your job. Same thing when your plans are ruined because your element failed.

Hi Ray

I do have some burnt out heat elements being sent back to me by our Galesburg office for further testing,
and if necessary I will send them onto the manufacture for inspection as well.

I will keep you and this forum updated on our findings.

Brian.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SmokinEverything

This is not a complaint as Bradley has agreed to replace the element, was told that it will be replaced for the full 12 month warranty period regardless of how many times it fails. I can only hope that if it is indeed a small issue it does not become a prolonged reoccurence.

As far as stats go the unit was an OBS purchased from Cabelas on 12/13/2010 and used 3 times. If it is due to a bad batch of elements or a switch in materials hopefully it can be rectified ASAP. I'm quite concerened that the more I'm reading on this it seems to be with units bought in the previous year and not units prior to that. If that is the case I hope the replacement elements are of a better quality.

LoftyNotions

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on February 06, 2011, 04:42:21 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on February 06, 2011, 11:41:48 AM
Brian,
I understand your comments,but it appears that there is an issue with the elements. I have been a Bradley owner since Dec 2009 and was a lurker on the forum for months before that. At no time did the amount of complaints regarding element failure reach the number that are appearing. In fact, I don't remember reading about any. I realize that this is not a scientific statistic. But it would seem that there is a problem with the newer Bradley's going into service recently and since it is a metal element it appears unlikely that it is a shipping /packaging problem.
While the overall failure rate is low, what if it were based upon units sold within the last 6 months or so. I think it may surprise you. While Bradley stands behind its product and provides the best Customer Service I have experienced, you can read the frustration in the people that have plans ruined due to element failures. I have a few acquaintances that have hung around the forum and want to buy a smoker. They are relunctant to do so until they hear a better response regarding a solution other than the failure numbers are low. It is like a recession - it is a small recession if your neighbor loses his job, its a deep depression if you lose your job. Same thing when your plans are ruined because your element failed.

Hi Ray

I do have some burnt out heat elements being sent back to me by our Galesburg office for further testing,
and if necessary I will send them onto the manufacture for inspection as well.

I will keep you and this forum updated on our findings.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

If you want my element back for testing, let me know.

Larry

Bradley (Head Office)

QuoteHi Brian,

If you want my element back for testing, let me know.

Larry

Hi Larry

Thanks for the offer.

I have a few on the way from our US office if the testing on these proves to be inconclusive I will be asking for more.

Brian.

smoker pete

I'll save my 2 that just died.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

TedEbear

Bradley can have my old one that wouldn't heat over 166*F after 10 hours if they'll send me a new replacement.  I'll even pay return shipping charges.

Patsplace

I wonder whether it's a bad batch of elements. Is there an aftermarket element of better quality that can be purchased? I'm really new to this but would like the OBS that I just put in service to be able to get to a higher heat than 165 after 3-4 hours. Dual elements? Different elements? What's the usual way of dealing with the lack of horse-power in the heating department. It's not a problem for me now, but if I do a turkey it probably will be.

Thanks folks. I sure like the way my OBS works so far (other than the low power) It makes it effortless to smoke in a controlled fashion and I really like that.

Regards,
Pat
I feel much better since I started smoking.

TedEbear

Quote from: Patsplace on February 27, 2011, 11:43:10 PMWhat's the usual way of dealing with the lack of horse-power in the heating department.

I'd say adding a second element would be the best way to get it hot faster.  I did this about a month or so ago and it makes a big difference.  Initial preheat now takes less than 15 minutes, even when the outdoor temp is below freezing.  Heat recovery times, when I have to open the door for something, just takes a few minutes to get back up to cooking temp. Also, make sure the vent on top is open at least halfway or moisture will buildup and make it hard to reach higher temps.

I also wonder if adding a second element would make both of them last longer since a single element would no longer be running for as long.  I added a second one because it took many, many hours for the chamber to get up to temp when I was trying to smoke a Thanksgiving turkey.  My remote thermometer said it never got above 166*F in the chamber, after 10 hours of trying. I finished it in the oven. Maybe the element was going out (only had the smoker 6 months) but I didn't want to deal with that headache anymore so I did the conversion.  I didn't even bother calling Bradley, so I had a potentially bad element that didn't make it to their statistic list.

If you're going to add a second element you might also want to add a PID controller.  The one I bought from Auberins was a little less than $45. It sure makes things easy to smoke now.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Patsplace on February 27, 2011, 11:43:10 PM
I wonder whether it's a bad batch of elements. Is there an aftermarket element of better quality that can be purchased? I'm really new to this but would like the OBS that I just put in service to be able to get to a higher heat than 165 after 3-4 hours. Dual elements? Different elements? What's the usual way of dealing with the lack of horse-power in the heating department. It's not a problem for me now, but if I do a turkey it probably will be.

Thanks folks. I sure like the way my OBS works so far (other than the low power) It makes it effortless to smoke in a controlled fashion and I really like that.

Regards,
Pat

Pat my question to you would be What kind and how big was the chunk of meat you had in your OBS. I know with my 4rk if I stick a big ole 8-10lb butt in there it takes quite a while for the temp to come up. Are you reading your temp from the door? If your meat was below the thermometer in the door it will give you a cooler reading. What was your vent opening? closed down to far to "Get more Smoke" will also hold n moisture and keep your temps down. I'm not picking on you I am just trying to figure things out and then offer suggestions to help you get the best experience you can get with your smoker. Yes there have been some issues lately with elements but them elements are dead and Bradley is working on that issue. Yours is NOT dead, so lets see how we can get you back to smoking and enjoying life. If you want send me your number in a pm and I will try to give you a call and help if I can. Or start another post and we can get a meeting of the minds going and get everybody involved.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

I just wanted to give my two cents worth, my original element is still working perfect after more than 4yrs. I noticed pics that were posted of the failed elements they seemed to be lacking the red high heat silicone sealant on the terminals ends. IMO i think moister is getting in and when the element heats up its cracking the porcelain inside and causing  the element to fail. Maybe Bradly can check this out. I,ll post pics of my replacement element that I've had for over three years just for back up but never used. It has the red silicone under the terminals.

dbondy

I,ve got the pics of my element, but first I have to say that my OBS has performed perfect since I've had it. There must be more than 200 + hours on my origanal element. These are the #s that are on the element CQC DF120v 500w 0902.

I think that if i got a replacement element for bradly I would pull the insulater off and check for the sealant, if no sealant I would apply some high temp silicone before installing the new element. ???

GusRobin

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 28, 2011, 06:51:41 AM
Quote from: Patsplace on February 27, 2011, 11:43:10 PM

Regards,
Pat
I agree with Chris (10.5) - if it was a dead element most likely you would not be that high a temp (165). I think it would be more like one of the common issues 1) vent is closed too much; 2) opening the door too much;3) on an extension cord (or an outlet on a circuit with a number of items) so that the unit is not getting full power; 4) reading off the door thermometer when the meat is lower than or equal to the probe level.5) you have any foil on your v tray.
As stated before, none of these are intended to be criticisms but these are the common issues when the element is not dead

Pat my question to you would be What kind and how big was the chunk of meat you had in your OBS. I know with my 4rk if I stick a big ole 8-10lb butt in there it takes quite a while for the temp to come up. Are you reading your temp from the door? If your meat was below the thermometer in the door it will give you a cooler reading. What was your vent opening? closed down to far to "Get more Smoke" will also hold n moisture and keep your temps down. I'm not picking on you I am just trying to figure things out and then offer suggestions to help you get the best experience you can get with your smoker. Yes there have been some issues lately with elements but them elements are dead and Bradley is working on that issue. Yours is NOT dead, so lets see how we can get you back to smoking and enjoying life. If you want send me your number in a pm and I will try to give you a call and help if I can. Or start another post and we can get a meeting of the minds going and get everybody involved.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SmokinEverything

Quote from: dbondy on February 28, 2011, 09:51:54 AM
I,ve got the pics of my element, but first I have to say that my OBS has performed perfect since I've had it. There must be more than 200 + hours on my origanal element. These are the #s that are on the element CQC DF120v 500w 0902.

I think that if i got a replacement element for bradly I would pull the insulater off and check for the sealant, if no sealant I would apply some high temp silicone before installing the new element. ???

I just got around to changing mine out this evening, thought I'd check in for any updates from Bradley. Your post intirgues me on two counts, the first being the numbers stamped on the element, and the second being the red sealant. Neither of which my failed element nor the replacement element have. Both are stamped DF 120V 500W 1006 GYQ Series. Maybe we can get others to verify the number stamped on their failed units and those that have years/hundreds of hours on a single element to do so as well.

I think that difference alone is enough to determine there was indeed some sort of material/manufacturing change. My expectations are not high on this replacement element living up to others experiences that have the older units. I find it absolutely frustrating knowing that all of my future smoking endeavors will require constant monitoring to make sure the element hasn't failed, and if and when it does, having to finish it in the oven which defeats the purpose of buying the smoker to begin with. I really wish I would have researched more than just reviews on the Cabelas website, may have found this site and bought another brand or held off until the problem was found and corrected. While it is admirable that Bradley sticks behind their product and offers replacement elements free of charge during the warranty period, there comes a point to where it becomes redundant to continually replace them.

I'll reserve official judgement until I get a few smokes on the new element, I'll be doing my next smoke this coming weekend. I'm putting 15 pounds of venison jerky at risk.

DADAKOTA

The element I bought from Yard and Pool for my 2nd element mod,  is stamped DF 120V 500W 1006 GYQ Series.  It has some white sealant under the insulator.  Is this series the same one that has been failing?  Anyone know what Y&Ps policy is if this one flames out after a couple smokes?