Heat Elements

Started by Bradley (Head Office), January 25, 2011, 12:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I have numerous elements laying around and 2 have COCDR120V500W0902 (used) stamped on them.

I have a cple of new one that was bought last summer that have the same number as yours.

SmokinEverything

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 28, 2011, 07:41:58 PM
I have numerous elements laying around and 2 have COCDR120V500W0902 (used) stamped on them.

I have a cple of new one that was bought last summer that have the same number as yours.

When you say used, do you mean failed? Any idea when purchased or lifespan?

Thanks, and not trying to step on toes but sometimes its easier for the consumers to delve into the issue rather than wait for the manufacturer to rectify the situation.

classicrockgriller

Never had a failed element.

guess they are 1 1/2 year old.

When I dualed out my smoker, I bought news one for them.

Again, Bradley will get to the bottom of it and fix the problem.

TedEbear

I just measured the resistance of my original element that I removed when I did the dual element mod.  It is 26.2 ohms.  I'm not sure what a brand new one, right out of the box is supposed to be.  My two new elements have been used several times already but I guess I could take one end loose and check it sometime, if no one else has a brand new one handy and an ohm meter.

classicrockgriller

Same reading on two new elements and two older elements.

Quarlow

SmokinEverything, can you show me a comparable smoker in this price range? If theere is something better I would like to have a look at it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

dbondy

I'M sorry if I raised any concerns, I know that Bradly will fix the problem they are top for customer service. It seems to still be a very small % of elements that are failing out of all the smokers that they sell. The numbers on the element that I posted are at least 4yrs old,its still new and I only have it for a back up. As far as smokers go I think IMO that the Bradly's are top notch and I will continue to use them. As of the moment I'M thinking of buying another 6rack so I can smoke more sausage.

TonyL222

Folks, it's not about bashing Bradley. I wouldn't trade in my OBS for anything and customer service has been top notch.

But clearly there is a problem. So far the only official statement on the cause has been increased seasonal use. That just doesn't seem like a plausible response to those of us with new smokers and multiple failures.

I'd just like to hear from Bradley that they acknowledge a problem and are Researching.   I'll be smoking some ribs this week ( second use of my 3rd element since Oct) and I'm kinda nervous

Sent from my Sprint Evo 4G using Tapatalk

KyNola

Tony,
Take a look at this thread http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21039.0 In it you will see where Bradley is asking for some of the failed elements to be shipped to them so they can analyze them.  They know they have a problem.

In the meantime once you get the smoke on those ribs this weekend you can always finish them in your home oven.  I certainly understand you're being nervous about your heating element.  Just trying to give you an alternative in the event an issue arises while doing those ribs.

West TN Smoker

To add to what KyNola said, this whole thread was started by Bradley (Head Office).

I had a couple of them go out which Bradley cheerfully replaced, and they have the bad ones for analysis as well, so we know they are on the problem.

SmokinEverything

Quote from: Quarlow on March 01, 2011, 09:08:13 AM
SmokinEverything, can you show me a comparable smoker in this price range? If theere is something better I would like to have a look at it.

This isn't so much about the Bradley smoker's in general, this is about a batch of heating elements manufactured within an undetermined timeframe. For the items I have smoked I am extremely satisfied with the products it turned out and other than the element failure I have no qualms with it. This isn't about whether there is a better product in the same price range, more so are there current products out there with better dependability at this given time?

Had I read review after review stating failed elements after 10-20 hours of use, I can assure you I would have either bought a different brand, possibly inferior, or waited until a fix was found.

With that being said, these smokers are not exactly cheap in price. If I as the consumer don't have a right to be somewhat upset at what appears to be a recallable defect then I'm not sure what to think. You wouldn't buy a new car knowing that the engines are seizing up within the first 4,000 miles, nor would the manufacturer continue to sell them knowing it to be the case.

Bradley has in a sense acknowledged there may be an issue(I have yet to read the linked thread above), but I think they are downplaying the numbers. This forum represents a small portion of their owners and there are a lot of posts on it. I am new to Bradley and their line of products, and by most members of this forum it sounds like they will do what it takes to correct it. I'm not so sure they should continue selling the product until a fix is found, that will do far more damage to their image than a few posts on this forum.

These are only my opinions. 

LoftyNotions

My failed element says DF 120V 500W 2010 04 GYQ Series.

Even knowing about the heating element problem I'd still buy this smoker. It's going to be painful for us for a bit longer, but with a little extra vigilance I think I can deal with potential problems as they arise.

Larry

mybad

I have had mine for a few years now, and I am completely satisfied. Having said that, some people are Bradley "fanboys" and take insult to even the most benign of comments  ;D it's perfectly natural human response. Hey I am a Dallas Cowboys Fanboy......so what does it mean?? It means we are all nuckin futz

NewBradleySmoker

I am a new Bradley Original Smoker customer.  I also have experienced a heating element failure.  Received unit in January, smoked successfully 4 times.  Then no heat from main element.  Used voltage tester to verify power at the connecting cord, also at the element itself so the rheostat seems to be working also.

Other than this admittedly catastrophic turn of events, I am very happy with the Bradley smoking unit.

TonyL222

This is why its pointless to hear from long time owners that they've not had any problems.  That is the whole point.  This issue seems to be affecting new smokers.  All heat elements will eventually burn out.  But the rate of burn outs in relatively new smokers (say purchased within the last 6-8 months) and the first few smokes seems to be very, very high.  It doesn't take a Six Sigma Black Belt to know that SOMETHING has changed.  I'd look at all changes in the last 8 mos - nothing is too small or insignificant to be dismissed.

Someone in another thread suggested a single, sticky thread where all element failures can be discussed.  Many of the long term owners - mostly those who have not had the problem - wanted to know what good that would do.  Well, there IS a problem and not talking about it doesn't make it go away.  Plus there are some very positive benefits to a single, open elements issue thread:

1.  It collects all of the frustrated post into one location.
2.  Information about the issue - circumstances, product codes, etc can be shared with Bradley and with others which might show patterns and help root cause analysis.
3.  Bradley can give updates on what it is doing to find the root cause (even things that have been eliminated) and how things are progressing.  That way people won't have to keep asking what Bradley is doing.
4.  It would show all forum readers that Bradley cares(we know that, but other lurkers may not.
5.  When the root cause is found and resolved, Bradley can declare victory to it's customers - maybe even CLOSE the thread.

Not discussing  a problem is usually the WRONG thing to do.  Be open and forthcoming.  There's no such thing as too much communication.  The grapevine feeds on a lack of real information.

PS - my 6hr rib smoke went off without a hitch.  That's my second use of my 3rd element.