First whole chicken, great results. With Pics!

Started by adriandb, January 26, 2011, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriandb

So last weekend I cold smoked some cashews, almonds and cheeses as a warm up (no pun intended) to smoking a whole chicken. I brinned the chicken overnight and cooked it as low as possible. I used the chicken for tacos topping them with the smoked queso blanco I did several weeks ago. Everything turned out great.

One issue I had was keeping the temp down when cold smoking. It was pretty damn cold out last weekend in N VA, but I couldn't keep the OBS below 100 degrees. Is that normal?

Next challenge is a 5 lbs pork butt / shoulder. Any recommendations on temp and time for that one?

Cashews and almonds ready to go
http://www.stolentime.com/images/IMG_7109.jpeg

Naked chick
http://www.stolentime.com/images/IMG_7111.jpeg

Rubbed chick
http://www.stolentime.com/images/IMG_7114.jpeg

Cashews and almonds resting for a week or so
http://www.stolentime.com/images/IMG_7189.jpeg

Hot and juicy chick
http://www.stolentime.com/images/IMG_7188.jpeg

SoCalBuilder

Adrian - Cold smoking chicken doesn't sound right to me. I smoke a chicken with the heat all the way up and it takes about 6 hours to get the breast to an internal temp of 165* which I think is probably the minimum safe temp. Maybe I misread your post ???

Someone else with more smoke under their belt will chime in soon.

On the nuts, How did they turn out and what wood did you use and for how long?

Enjoy!

classicrockgriller

Maybe I'm not reading this right also.

Did you cold smoke it for a short time and then put high heat to it?

muebe

Are you using the Bradley cold smoke adapter/custom adapter or is the puck element located in the smoker box like normal? The heat generated inside the box from the puck element can make it tough to keep the temps down.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

adriandb

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 26, 2011, 10:28:33 AM
Adrian - Cold smoking chicken doesn't sound right to me.
I just didn't write it out all that well. I started by cold smoking the cheese and nuts. I got it nice and warm for the chicken.

The nuts are just now starting to really show the smokey flavor, it takes a few days to develop. I found the same thing with the last batch I did. I smoked the nuts for about an hour with 2 hickory pucks and 1 Jim Beam puck.

I am not using any sort of cold smoking adapter, I guess I didn't expect the smoking element to get it that hot. I was still able to smoke a fresh, water packed mozzarella after drying it for a couple hours by wrapping it in a cheese cloth and hanging it over the sink before smoking it. It just released a little more water in the smoker, but didn't melt for the 40 mins it was in there.

KyNola

Couple of suggestions for you to help keep the temp down for cold smoking.  Place a pan full of ice on the lowest rack of your smoker.  If that doesn't do the trick, when the heat begins to rise higher than you would like, crack the door open and use something like a pencil or bubba puck(if you have one) standing up on it's edge in order to keep the door open just a crack.  It will allow heat to escape.  Yes, you will also lose some smoke but not enough to alter the taste of whatever you are cold smoking.

West TN Smoker

Something I am going to try when I cold smoke some cheese -

Foil wrap a couple fire bricks and put them in the deep freeze.  I think that should be enough 'cold mass' to counter the heat from the puck burner for the hour or two it will take to smoke the cheese.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: West TN Smoker on January 27, 2011, 07:34:28 AM

Foil wrap a couple fire bricks and put them in the deep freeze.  I think that should be enough 'cold mass' to counter the heat from the puck burner for the hour or two it will take to smoke the cheese.

BINGO! Nice Idea and Welcome to the Forum.

KyNola

WTN, where abouts are you located in West TN?  I'm in WKY!

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

West TN Smoker

KyNola

Quote from: West TN Smoker on January 27, 2011, 08:39:43 AM
I am in Millington, just north of Memphis.
Know exactly where that is.  I'm 3 hours to your North in Paducah KY.

West TN Smoker

Quote from: West TN Smoker on January 27, 2011, 08:39:43 AM

I am in Millington, just north of Memphis.

And I forgot to add, great job on the yardbird.   Love doing whole chickens on my OBS, finally got some Pecan pucks and a bird in the freezer so that is on my coming up list.

adriandb

Quote from: West TN Smoker on January 27, 2011, 07:34:28 AM

Great idea! If only I had room in my freezer for bricks...

The next time I get down to TN will probably be for my anual trip to Bonnaroo. We try to hit as much BBQ while we're there, any recommendations for places between Nashville and Manchester?