Author Topic: DIY Bisquettes  (Read 13097 times)

Offline McLay455

DIY Bisquettes
« on: April 04, 2004, 11:55:50 am »
I have access to large quantities of whisky barrel oak chips and want to make a few bisquettes of them.
Has anybody done it successfully??? What binder did you use???

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!!
Ivan

Ivan

Offline Chez Bubba

• Tryin' to be a good guy
Re: DIY Bisquettes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 08:32:20 pm »
According to Bradley's box, they use 0.02% Collagen Hydrolised as a binder. To my simple mind, that's unflavored Jello or Knox gelatin.

If you want to try this, I would suggest you try to replicate the same texture of the wood as the Bradley bisquettes. My concern would be that a different form may not burn as the Bradley's are designed to.

My brother-in-law tried making some & was overall successful, but it became apparent to him that it just wasn't worth the time.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Offline McLay455

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 08:36:37 am »
Thanks very much for your reply
I know it will be a pain to make the bisquettes, but I want to do it to replicate the flavour I have achieved as a trial.
I have been smoking in a whisky barrel with whisky barrel oak chips for 25+ years. and havent tried the Bradley yet.
Will let the forum know how good the results are when I succeed.

Ivan

Ivan

Offline msiler

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 06:28:14 am »
I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.

Offline Bassman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 03:21:08 pm »
Just a thought,
 Before I had a Bradley I used chunks of store bought chips, That is the only other wood I have used. However, I was surfing the smoke ring network and found several places that sold bags of really fine chips,almost like sawdust,maybe that would work. I have no idea where I had seen that but I know it's out there. If I come across it again I'll post the link.Hope this helps[:)]

edit: I found this by accident,seems exspensive.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/hickory_sawdust.htm

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 11:20:33 pm »
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When I use a charcoal smoker I would use peach wood. That is my favorite. I use to get the wood form a local orchard when they would prune the trees. It was great with poultry, pork and beef. Never tried it on fish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline PaulMarquis

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 04:45:06 pm »
I just happen to have a signed Jack Daniels single barrel whiskey barrel. All I need to do is make a door opening add some racks and a bradley smoke generator in the side. Oh and a heater or 2 .... maybe not such a great idea but whiskey barrel oak pucks would be a great addition to the bradley line. Maybe that old 120 pack machine is for sale?
Just my $.02
Paul

Offline neptuno

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 07:32:50 am »
I live abroad and I have brought a Bradley Smoker with me in a recent trip. My smoker works great, but the chips become quite expensive by the time they get here.

Has anyone developed a way of making the Bisquettes at home? I have acces to a lot of nice wood chips and I guess will need a press of some kind, and a glutinous material as gelatin or xantam gum.

tks

Pedro
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Offline Habanero Smoker

• Member Extraordinaire
  • KCBS - Master Certified Barbecue Judge
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »
Hi neptuno;
Welcome to the forum.

Where abroad do you live?

Bradley has distributors in the U.K. that covers most of Europe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Offline viper125

• Member Extraordinaire
  • My post is entirely my opinion and thoughts.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 06:16:22 pm »
Well you can by the a-maz-n smoking pan. Its in different sizes and I believe they say the small 6 x 6 lasts 6-8 hrs. Good for cold smoking as very little heat. Made of stainless so almost indestructible. It will set in smoker or SG. I have been thinking of trying one. I have heard a lot of very good things. Also saw dust is easy to make. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Offline viper125

• Member Extraordinaire
  • My post is entirely my opinion and thoughts.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 06:18:36 pm »
By the way Bradley now sells oak whiskey barrel pucks if you didn't know.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Offline VASmoker

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »
I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.

YES - GREAT WOOD   PEACH!!!!!  Can't beat the flavor when combined with Apple & Cherry..  Trying to contact Bradley on a new thread for "Where's the Fruit Flavors"...