DIY Bisquettes

Started by McLay455, April 04, 2004, 11:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McLay455

I have access to large quantities of whisky barrel oak chips and want to make a few bisquettes of them.
Has anybody done it successfully??? What binder did you use???

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!!
Ivan

Ivan

Chez Bubba

According to Bradley's box, they use 0.02% Collagen Hydrolised as a binder. To my simple mind, that's unflavored Jello or Knox gelatin.

If you want to try this, I would suggest you try to replicate the same texture of the wood as the Bradley bisquettes. My concern would be that a different form may not burn as the Bradley's are designed to.

My brother-in-law tried making some & was overall successful, but it became apparent to him that it just wasn't worth the time.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

McLay455

Thanks very much for your reply
I know it will be a pain to make the bisquettes, but I want to do it to replicate the flavour I have achieved as a trial.
I have been smoking in a whisky barrel with whisky barrel oak chips for 25+ years. and havent tried the Bradley yet.
Will let the forum know how good the results are when I succeed.

Ivan

Ivan

msiler

I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.

Bassman

Just a thought,
 Before I had a Bradley I used chunks of store bought chips, That is the only other wood I have used. However, I was surfing the smoke ring network and found several places that sold bags of really fine chips,almost like sawdust,maybe that would work. I have no idea where I had seen that but I know it's out there. If I come across it again I'll post the link.Hope this helps[:)]

edit: I found this by accident,seems exspensive.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/hickory_sawdust.htm

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When I use a charcoal smoker I would use peach wood. That is my favorite. I use to get the wood form a local orchard when they would prune the trees. It was great with poultry, pork and beef. Never tried it on fish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PaulMarquis

I just happen to have a signed Jack Daniels single barrel whiskey barrel. All I need to do is make a door opening add some racks and a bradley smoke generator in the side. Oh and a heater or 2 .... maybe not such a great idea but whiskey barrel oak pucks would be a great addition to the bradley line. Maybe that old 120 pack machine is for sale?
Just my $.02
Paul

neptuno

I live abroad and I have brought a Bradley Smoker with me in a recent trip. My smoker works great, but the chips become quite expensive by the time they get here.

Has anyone developed a way of making the Bisquettes at home? I have acces to a lot of nice wood chips and I guess will need a press of some kind, and a glutinous material as gelatin or xantam gum.

tks

Pedro
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Habanero Smoker

Hi neptuno;
Welcome to the forum.

Where abroad do you live?

Bradley has distributors in the U.K. that covers most of Europe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Well you can by the a-maz-n smoking pan. Its in different sizes and I believe they say the small 6 x 6 lasts 6-8 hrs. Good for cold smoking as very little heat. Made of stainless so almost indestructible. It will set in smoker or SG. I have been thinking of trying one. I have heard a lot of very good things. Also saw dust is easy to make. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

By the way Bradley now sells oak whiskey barrel pucks if you didn't know.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

VASmoker

Quote from: msiler on May 28, 2004, 06:28:14 AM
I have an idea on how to use other woods in the bradley. However all the woods I have used in the past in other smokers are available in puck form. Does anyone else out there have any other good smoking woods in mind that are not available in puck form. I just don't think it would be cost effective for woods that are available as pucks.

When in doubt smoke it.

YES - GREAT WOOD   PEACH!!!!!  Can't beat the flavor when combined with Apple & Cherry..  Trying to contact Bradley on a new thread for "Where's the Fruit Flavors"...

Sniper-T

Necro post...

Any updates on this?  has anyone managed to make their own?

I am interested in making some to supplement the flavours available, and possible to make some 'blended flavours.

I started a 'cedar' thread, and would like to try that, but perhaps with a mix of cedar and something else so it isn't too much (strong).

I like the knox idea, as I have some kicking around at home, and I was thinking I'd cut a few pcs of mechanical tubing (steel) and a couple pcs of steel plate, and then it would just be a matter of soaking the wood chips in water/knox, and then pressing a scoop in the tube between the plates. to form the puck.  It would probably take a little trial and error to get the consistency/density correct - or at least close enough.  But the physical size should be easy enough to match.  Probably need a couple holes in the plates and/or the tube to facilitate drainage...

Thoughts?

And no, I am not interested in a mass production, just a few here and there to try different woods that may not be available, or to make my own blends.

Habanero Smoker

If you do more searching, you should find at least one thread in which a member reported he had success making his own bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tickle The Ivories

After about a month of a bit of trial and error (not too much error as my first biscuits were smoke-able and smoked some awesome cheese), I have successfully figured out how to replicate a Bradley biscuit about as close as you can get. They fit the smoker well, can drop on the floor without breaking and no one that knows my smoker would guess that I made these myself, as they're very uniform.  Costs are negligible, and you will more than likely have some of the materials already. You don't have to get all fancy here, promise. I have calculated that my first shipment of hickory sawdust will yield about 170 biscuits for about 6 cents a piece. The 5 lb bag of sawdust cost me $11 (shipping included in price). Average price of a 48 pack of Bradley biscuits is about 20 to 25 dollars and weights 1.6 lbs. Do the math. Most of the hard woods are about this price, and some are a little more, but it's very negligible. Because of my success, I now have 20 lbs of sawdust ranging from Cherry, Hickory, Mesquite and Apple woods.

I will post a step by step on the materials, where I got them, the companies I bought from and all of my ratios regarding mixing the biscuits before you press them. I'll do this as soon as I can, but am going to make more so I can have pics and such ready. Just wanted to let you all know that if you're willing to put in a small amount of work, you can do something for yourself and save a very significant amount of money (Hey, 10- 12 times more expensive on anything adds up real quick, especially when you're smoking as much as I do). Until then, happy smoking!