brine bucket

Started by bears fan, January 30, 2011, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I'm in the market for a brining bucket and I'm wondering what everyone's best choice for one is before I decide on one to buy.  I'd prefer something other than a 5 gallon bucket as I will not be brining anything that large or that big of quantity.  The largest thing I will brine is one turkey at a time.

squirtthecat

I use a cat little bucket (seriously), but with a brining bag inside of it.

DTAggie

that is open for so many comments!

howlin

i wonder if that would work for sauerkraut?
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

Habanero Smoker

For smaller brining jobs I use the 8 quart Rubbermaid square food storage containers. They are fairly small in width, and tall so they are useful for a variety of brining jobs. They don't stain or hold any odor.

They also sell round ones in a couple of sizes. If you go to their sight and type in "rubbermaid food storage", they have a larger variety.

8 Quart Container

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

We buy food balls (mixture of seeds and fat) to hang in the trees to feed birds in the winter.  These are food grade and work a treat for brining.  Dishwasher safe and come in approx. 1 gallon and three gallon sizes.  I've used the same ones over and over again.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

I have a frosting bucket (3 gal) that I got from the local gas station that makes donuts (Casey's if your in the midwest)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bears fan

Sounds like I just need to make an inquiry at a local gas station to see what kind of buckets they may have from various types of items they cook.  Here I was thinking I may need to buy one ::)

squirtthecat

I have one of those frosting buckets from a nearby bakery as well.   3 gal - give or take.    They sold it (and the lid) to me for like 2 bucks.

Ka Honu

My large stockpot holds a plastic bag with a 14-pound turkey (which is about as large a bird as I cook anyway) plus the brine and fits in the fridge.  Anything larger I bag, brine, put in a cooler, and cover with ice and water (adding ice if necessary to maintain temp).

unclebuck

I use a 5 gal. stone crock that I inherited from my mother for my brine crock.  Easy to clean, and best of all sanitary.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten