First time try with Jan's rub...

Started by Smokeville, January 31, 2011, 03:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Well, it certainly has been talked about a lot, but until yesterday I'd never tried it.

I made up a batch on Saturday using demerara brown sugar and Sunday used it on 4 chickens which I had brined and then cut into halves. All I can say is WOW, the results were far and away beyond my expectations. My DBS 6 rack wouldn't go past 200F with the cold breeze. After 5 hours with maple they were at about 150F so I popped them in the oven (hungry people waiting semi-patiently) and although I thought I over cooked them a bit (I was making risotto at the same time and that requires 100% attention), everyone thought the results were WOW!

I can hardly wait to try it on ribs. I usually don't bother with ribs but they were on sale this week so...... :)

Rich

TestRocket

Sorry Smokeville, but you know the rule! No PICS it never happened!  :o

Now please, please try a little harder with the ribs!   :D

FLBentRider

Cool.

Now find something that it's not good on!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokeville

Quote from: TestRocket on January 31, 2011, 03:23:52 PM

Certainly true, but I have a great excuse ---> Sunday dinner set for 6pm. I have to get to church at 9:30am. No choice since I'm the pastor! I put the DBS on 150F at 9am so that it gets a start on the preheat. Lunch after service ends at 12:15pm so I dash home to get the chicken out and warming up and the smoker up to as high as I can get it..... chicken gets cut into halves and rubbed and in the smoker at 1pm. Simultaneously, the same scenario is being played out with salmon in my OBS. Have to set the PID.... etc etc etc.

Don't ask why I didn't take photos afterward..... I have no idea (and no excuse!)

If I get my mother-in-law to write a note, would that be proof???

:D

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 31, 2011, 03:47:45 PM
Cool.

Now find something that it's not good on!

Good luck with that...     Jan's Rub would make a brick taste good!

TestRocket

Well since you invoke forgiveness I can't hold it against you!

But curiously I kind of what to know what your mother-in-law has to say about you? Well maybe not! LOL  Good luck with the ribs!  :D

Smokeville

Quote from: TestRocket on January 31, 2011, 04:33:02 PM
Well since you invoke forgiveness I can't hold it against you!

But curiously I kind of what to know what your mother-in-law has to say about you? Well maybe not! LOL  Good luck with the ribs!  :D

What she would say about me versus what she would say about the chicken might be different. She really liked the chicken!

rdevous

Quote from: Smokeville on January 31, 2011, 03:52:43 PM
Quote from: TestRocket on January 31, 2011, 03:23:52 PM

If I get my mother-in-law to write a note, would that be proof???

:D

Pastor Rick aka Smokeville....While we could take you at your word in your "professional" capacity we would still need proof that she IS your mother-in-law.  A picture of you two together with your arm around her might do.  The expression on her face of having your arm around her shoulder will be plain for ANY son-in-law to interpret.

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Smokeville