Why are Chicken Wings so expensive??$#*&%@

Started by smoker pete, January 31, 2011, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

I can easily find whole Chickens, drumsticks, leg quarters, thighs, half chickens, etc for around 99ยข to $1.50 but Chicken Wings go for $2.50 to $3.00 a pound around here!!  They're just wings!!  They have more bones/skin than meat on em.  Why do you think?  SWMBO says that it's probably cause they're so popular that the price is driven up.  Can't be that it's because there's only 2 per chicken cause there's only 2 drumsticks per chicken too.

I just want to do a batch of chicken wings in the SRG but refuse to pay those prices.  Anyone else find chicken wings as high as they are around here?  After all ... they're just arm pits  ;D ;D  Everything here in California is too expensive.  Diesel just hit $3.65 a gallon yesterday.  Hate to see what it's going to be next week >:(

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Smokin Soon

You probably have a Lucky or a Smart & Final nearby, look in the frozen stuff for an orange bag marked "Valuetime" first and second wing parts, whatever that means. Pretty cheap and very tasty. Put them in the Bradley while frozen and smoke and thaw at the same time. I pile on the seasoning when the skin is soft and wet. Cook till 150* and into the Big Easy for the finish.

SoCalBuilder

Hey Pete, I hear there is a farmer near San Onofre that is growing chickens with six wings and grow so fast he can harvest them 24 hours a day because they glow in the dark and are easy to round up ;D

Sorry, my turn to go stand in the corner.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 31, 2011, 05:43:10 PM
Hey Pete, I hear there is a farmer near San Onofre that is growing chickens with six wings and grow so fast he can harvest them 24 hours a day because they glow in the dark and are easy to round up ;D

Sorry, my turn to go stand in the corner.

All dem chickens are grown at TMI

SL2010

SP i agree i live on the other side over here (PA) and its just as bad here like SS said look for the deals and stock up thats all we can do we have Aldi's here and i pay 7.99 per bag

ronbeaux

For $3.00 per lb they better come with Hooters!!!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

SoCalBuilder

Strange picture - chickens in little orange shorts ???

BuyLowSellHigh

Supply and demand.  Blame the Superbowl for demand.

The good news, if there is any, is that the other parts should be getting cheap due to abundant supply.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

I agree with BLSH I believe it is because the demand is social gatherings. If you go to the bar with the guys what do you order? With my crowd 99% of the time it is chicken wings. In lieu of chicken wings at home I buy legs and season and cook as wings. The difference is not noticable except a slightly larger piece of chicken.

My 2 Canadian cents worth....so about 1.5 cents US....can't even get a black ball candy for that anymore.  ;D

Ka Honu

All we seem to get here is very small wings at the same high prices you're talking about.  I finally said the Hell with it and and started using small chicken thighs or turkey wings instead. Both about $1 per pound, both excellent with any chicken wing recipe.  Gotta admit, though, the six-wing fast-growing glowing bird is intriguing.  I'll have to see if I can find some and give 'em a try.

smoker pete

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 31, 2011, 07:45:02 PM
Gotta admit, though, the six-wing fast-growing glowing bird is intriguing.  I'll have to see if I can find some and give 'em a try.

All you need Ka Honu is a nice Nuclear Power Plant laying around leaking into the ground water that feeds your chicken coop  ;D ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: smoker pete on January 31, 2011, 07:52:22 PM...a nice Nuclear Power Plant laying around leaking...

Haven't got any of those kind of plants around here.  Where can I get Nuclear Power Plant seeds and how long does it take from the time you plant them until the really good leaks affect the chickens?  If it's more than a season or two, maybe I should move where there's one already leaking.  That would be probably be easier but a place that special would have to have sky-high prices on real estate.  Help me out here; I'm in a quandary (which is sorta like a landfill inhabited by horned dilemmas).

smoker pete

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 31, 2011, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: smoker pete on January 31, 2011, 07:52:22 PM...a nice Nuclear Power Plant laying around leaking...

Haven't got any of those kind of plants around here.  Where can I get Nuclear Power Plant seeds and how long does it take from the time you plant them until the really good leaks affect the chickens?  If it's more than a season or two, maybe I should move where there's one already leaking.  That would be probably be easier but a place that special would have to have sky-high prices on real estate.  Help me out here; I'm in a quandary (which is sorta like a landfill inhabited by horned dilemmas).

You could always borrow one of those U.S. Navy Fast Attack Nuclear Submarines based in Hawaii and bury it in your back yard ;D  Except they don't leak :-\  Oh well, I reckon you'll just have to pay those high prices like the rest of us.  Although I think I'll start looking for some Turkey Wings.  Taste like Chicken ... Right? :D ;)

Habanero Smoker

Wings have been steadily going up for some time. Fresh one's in my area are almost impossible to find in abundance, and the frozen bags have gone from about $6 for five pound to $6 for 4 pounds.

I've started making chicken fingers or nuggets out of chicken thighs or if I can find them turkey thighs. Though not as good as wings, they are less messy, and you don't have to worry about where to place the bones once you have eaten the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: smoker pete on January 31, 2011, 08:52:31 PM

You could always borrow one of those U.S. Navy Fast Attack Nuclear Submarines based in Hawaii and bury it in your back yard ;D  Except they don't leak :-\ 

Put the chickens IN the sub - then you can mutate and cook them in the same vessel.   

KH, since you're in HI maybe you should try albatross.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here