Super Bowl Menu

Started by DTAggie, January 31, 2011, 09:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

What is everyone planning for the Super Bowl?

Me:  Pulled pork, brisket, some ABTs, Cilantro Potato Salad.  Think I may throw some chicken thighs or ribs in as well. Heck I may even make some gumbo.

classicrockgriller

U got time to make your own sausage for gumbo.

Made 5lbs of Cilantro Potato Salad for a "GOOD" friend today.

man that stuff is good.

jiggerjams

A friend of mine hosts super bowl every year. He grills up sausages, burgs, dogs, and anything not bolted down while everyone plays street hockey in the afternoon. Other than women and children, it is an un written rule that you don't go in the house(with exceptions) until the football game begins. Some years it is like hitting a brick wall going in the house when the heat gets you!!

Once inside, his chili is in the slow cooker ready to go, my hunter buddy has his veni chili in a slow cooker, and I usually try to mix it up a bit. This year I am doing Irish stew* (Emeril Lagasse) with CRG's dinner rolls. Last year it was Jambalaya (again Emeril) and store bought rolls...never again unless my oven breaks.

Saturday night is poker night. I am bringing my salsa, my olives and not much money ;D.

Coincidentally the recipes I use and posted below are from Emeril's cook book about the food that he experienced growing up living in New Orleans. The cookbook's name is Every Day's a Party. Go represent Forum Members!!

* I will be substituting beef for lamb this time. Both work well.

Irish Stew Recipe - It is the second recipe of the two.
http://www.labellecuisine.com/archives/Main%20Dish/Irish%20Lamb%20Stew%20-%20Two%20Recipes.htm

CRG's Rolls - killer!!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17601.0

Jambalaya - I use chorizo sausage. I do not have access to Andouille...yet!
http://www.labellecuisine.com/archives/Main%20Dish/Crawfish%20and%20Sausage%20Jambalaya_.htm

squirtthecat

BuyLowSellHigh

Got a brisket in the second week of dry aging that starts smoking on Friday or Saturday (after 24 days of wet age).  Will add a pork butt.  Must have Chile con Queso, and will load it up with Hatch NM Chiles from the freezer stash.  Sides will be beans of some kind, a baked potato salad and some kind of cole slaw.

The best part will be the friends and watching the game on the new system -- Samsung 65" LED LCD (3D if you wish).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

That sounds good BLSH. Do you do anything to the chilies to prep them for freezing?

Wow monstor tv with all the bells and whistles. Last fall I read they were trying to get the 3D technology in place for the Superbowl. Anyone know if they met their mark?

DTAggie

JJ, I have a freezer ful of hatch chiles myself.  They were fire roasted first.  That is all.  Seem ok when they come out.

BLSH, I do not have a wall big enough for a 65-inch TV

BuyLowSellHigh

For the chiles, I buy them roasted, peeled and frozen from these folks.  They do a super job and will let you mix your order (10 lb lots).  Really good chiles.  The taste of Hatch chiles is truly amazing.

If you buy them fresh, then I suggest following Pachanga's method, as shown here.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18053.0

The new TV is way cool.  Once you get it dialed in the video is stunning.  There was talk of trying to broadcast the Superbowl in 3-D, but as far as I know that isn't happening.  With this set if you want 3-D that's not a limitation - it will generate it's own 3-D from a 2-D broadcast.  It's not up to the quality of a 3-D broadcast or a 3-D Blu-Ray disc, but it's a step along the way and ain't bad.  Comcast and HBO are now starting to stream 3D on demand.

jiggerjams

SnellySmokesEm

Gunpowder Brisket here!!!  Since I am not hosting the party, thats all I gotta bring!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

DTAggie

I'm going to use Gunpowder as well

GusRobin

Corn Flakes, Jack Daniels and Bud light
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

Havent decided yet but there will defiantly be a bottle of Jack at my side.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: GusRobin on February 01, 2011, 11:20:23 AM
Corn Flakes, Jack Daniels and Bud light

What rub you goin' to use on the flakes ?

mjdeez

8lb Pulled pork, some recipe i got from my coworker but I'll sub in Jan's rib rub

5lb BBQ brisket. Probably something off of susanminor.org but haven't decided yet.

2lb smoked salmon (my first shot at this one)

3 racks of spare ribs (Jan's rub, 3-2-1)

buffalo wings (catered)

Polish sausage, not sure what kind yet. There's a new Polish deli in my town and the Kabanosi is really good, so we'll see what else works out. They have a great selection.

Polish cakes, also from the deli.

x layer dip. Not sure how many layers. Beef, pork, cheese, more cheese, sour cream, home made quacamole, salsa, olives, hot peppers, ...

Hmmm... that's about 2.5lb per person, guess I'll just have to freeze some for leftovers.