Questions from a prospective buyer

Started by Cshannon, February 06, 2011, 09:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cshannon

I've been doing BBQ at home now for only around a year and I've decided that while we are getting fantastic results out of our oven it's time to step it up and actually get a smoker.

Right now I'm looking at the 4 & 6 rack digital smokers and I have a few questions I am hoping some of the veterans on these forums will be able to assist in answering.

1) If I do a 10 hour brisket at 250F how many "pucks" am I going to go through? Also when is it suggested to start the smoke and for how long? I'm under the impression the smoking doesn't go on the entire duration of the cook time so correct me if I'm wrong there.

2) It is hard to really gauge the size of these units in the pictures and they are smaller than they first appear (they look NFL lineman sized in many pictures) based on the volume information I'm able to find, so I'm hoping I can get some practical measurements from those who have used these things: How many Boston butts can fit on a single rack (I'm expecting at most 2)?  Could I do 3-4 12lb briskets in either of these units at one time? Could I do 2x picnic butts and 2x 12lb Briskets at once?

3) Is it possible to cold smoke with these units?

4) Are there any potential issues with placing the unit in a garage? I'm mostly concerned with ventilation, but let me know if there are any other potential hazards.

5) Is there any appreciable difference between smoking with "pucks" and any other form of wood chips, chunks, shavings, etc..? 

6) I've read a lot on the temperature swings the unit is alleged to have, but I'm also aware ovens have similar issues. My question is whether anyone here has experienced, or heard of, any instances where these temperature swings impacted the quality of the final product?  My instinct is that they would even out (since it swings high and low), but I'd like to confirm that from folks with first-hand experience if at all possible.

(edit)

7) Is there anything you wish you had known before you purchased your unit (good or bad)?

(/edit)

Well, that should be plenty of questions for now!

Thanks for your time, and I really appreciate any insights you fine folks might have to offer, so even if you can only help me out with 1 or 2 questions I'll take whatever help you can give!

GusRobin

I have a OBS(non-digital) so my answers will be based upon a 4 rack.

Quote from: Cshannon on February 06, 2011, 09:33:10 AM

1) If I do a 10 hour brisket at 250F how many "pucks" am I going to go through? Also when is it suggested to start the smoke and for how long? I'm under the impression the smoking doesn't go on the entire duration of the cook time so correct me if I'm wrong there.

While people smoke for different lengths, I think it is safe to say that the average actual smoke time for poultry is 2-3 hours and butts and briskets for 3-4 hours.

Quote2) It is hard to really gauge the size of these units in the pictures and they are smaller than they first appear (they look NFL lineman sized in many pictures) based on the volume information I'm able to find, so I'm hoping I can get some practical measurements from those who have used these things:
My 4 rack OBS approx:  32 in high; 15 deep;18 wide (24 with smoke generator) --these are rounded to the nearest inch and are outside dimensions

QuoteHow many Boston butts can fit on a single rack (I'm expecting at most 2)?  Could I do 3-4 12lb briskets in either of these units at one time? Could I do 2x picnic butts and 2x 12lb Briskets at once?

I have fit 2 8lbs on a rack depending upon size and shape.

I have done a 14 lb brisket on a rack but you have to "bend " it if long vs thick. So theoretically I could do 4 of them.  yes you can do 2 butts and 2 briskets based upon the above info. That is from a size standpoint. The other issue is enough heat.I have installed a second heating element from day one so mine could handle it from a temp standpoint.

Quote3) Is it possible to cold smoke with these units?
yes - depending upon ambient temps you may need to use a cold smoke attachment. Bradley sells them or you can easily make your own as a number of members have.

Quote4) Are there any potential issues with placing the unit in a garage? I'm mostly concerned with ventilation, but let me know if there are any other potential hazards.
fire is always a hazard with anything electrical that brings together heat and grease. need to make sure you keep clean and change water consistently. You mentioned the need to vent.

Quote5) Is there any appreciable difference between smoking with "pucks" and any other form of wood chips, chunks, shavings, etc..?  

apparently the pucks burn cleaner

Quote6) I've read a lot on the temperature swings the unit is alleged to have, but I'm also aware ovens have similar issues. My question is whether anyone here has experienced, or heard of, any instances where these temperature swings impacted the quality of the final product?  My instinct is that they would even out (since it swings high and low), but I'd like to confirm that from folks with first-hand experience if at all possible.
many of the swings are based upon where you are comparing temps, layout of the meat, and other factors. Many people buy a PID temp controller that brings it within 2 degree swings. As far as swing effecting things , it probably effects the overall time. By how much I don't know but I don't think it is a big difference.
Hope this helps

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: Cshannon on February 06, 2011, 09:33:10 AMHow many Boston butts can fit on a single rack (I'm expecting at most 2)?  Could I do 3-4 12lb briskets in either of these units at one time? Could I do 2x picnic butts and 2x 12lb Briskets at once?

The racks on the digital each have an 11" x 13" cooking space.  Complete interior and exterior demensions are available at the links below.

Bradley 6 Rack Digital Smoker Specifications

Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker Specifications

Cshannon

Thanks Gus & Ted!

That answers a lot of my questions, but it does raise one more.  Can you point me at a good place to start reading about the PID temp controllers? 

And again, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

PS - If anyone has anything to add, please do!  I'm a bit of an information freak, so no tidbit is too small =)

GusRobin

do a search on PID here at the forum;
most people seem to buy the PID from Auber www.auberins.com;
go to the recipe site
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes
look under the accessories section for a number of threads on different PIDs
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TedEbear

Quote from: Cshannon on February 06, 2011, 10:44:18 AMThat answers a lot of my questions, but it does raise one more.  Can you point me at a good place to start reading about the PID temp controllers?  

And again, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

Since you posted this in the Bradley digital smoker section I assume you're looking at those rather than the OBS that just comes with a manual slide temp control.  The digital model comes with a controller already.  However, if you just want to know more about what PID controllers are Wikipedia has this: PID Controller

muebe

Now I suggest that if your interested in getting a PID then I would get the OBS and a Auberins PID like this one... http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=151

I do not own a Digital Bradley but I do own the original and this PID. It is very simple to install(just plug in) and IMHO I think you should get the OBS and this PID instead of the DBS ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

Quote from: muebe on February 06, 2011, 11:30:44 AM
I do not own a Digital Bradley but I do own the original and this PID. It is very simple to install(just plug in) and IMHO I think you should get the OBS and this PID instead of the DBS ;D
I would also base it upon the amount of smoking you want to do. While I am completely happy with the OBS and PID combo, have found there are times when I wish I had the space of a 6 rack. For me the perfect match would be a non-digital 6 rack with a PID.

Cshannon

I was just able to get back to this thread and wanted to again say "Thank You!" to everyone...so Thank You!

Unless I misunderstood, it seems the difference between the OBS and DBS is that the DBS comes with a built-in PID which is of questionable quality/precision, and that by getting an OBS and installing an after-market PID you can get what is essentially a DBS with better precision.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Assuming I have that right, I'm not 100% sold on a DBS just yet.  I would be interested to know if there are other differences worth mentioning though.  Based on comments I have the impression there is only a 4-rack OBS and not a 6-rack, is that right?  If it at all helps direct suggestions, I am strongly leaning towards the 6-rack.

classicrockgriller

You are correct. If you want the larger space you have to go to

the 6 rack DBS. I have the 6rk DBS and an OBS. Love them both.

The temp swing in the digital is big at the beginning of a long smoke

but gets tighter as the meat comes up in IT temp. It really isn't a big

deal on Butts, Briskets, etc. Might be a pain to ramp temps for sausage

or salmon.

There is a difference in the metal thickness of the interior walls of OBS

and a DBS. The DBS has thicker metal on the interior.

LumpyDVC

Didn't see anyone else say it.

It's 20 minutes of smoke per/puck. So a 3hr smoke would be 9 pucks as an example.

I have a 6 Rack DBS. It's my first smoker.

So far it's done everything I've needed it to do. I haven't ventured into sausage or fish
yet but I understand that those may require a little better temp control. A PID is on my
shopping list but has not been a MUST HAVE item just yet.

Good luck with your journey.

-= Lumpy # 2 =-

Cshannon

Thanks for the additional replies.

Yeah, I think our interest currently is more in the range of Briskets, Butts, Chickens, Ribs, etc...Primarily with briskets and butts which we do minimum 10 hours cooking (experience/preference) so the variance of the temperature may not be that big of a deal for us. 

Having said that I am gathering that for the BDS if you needed to do fish you might be able to cold smoke it and then finish it in an oven with better temp control.  If so, we do fish infrequently enough that this might be the way for me to go.

As for sausage I understand that you need a much more lengthy smoking process so I'm not sure if cold smoking and oven finishing would work for it (I have little sausage knowledge so I could be way off base here). Either way we have next to zero interest in the smoker for purposes of smoking sausage.  Having said that if any sausage enthusiast find that statement to be blasphemous I'm always willing to read a new recipe so if you link one I will check it out (no big deal if not though).

Anyways, I really do appreciate all the information, so again Thanks! to everyone.

Tenpoint5

Cshannon Just hang around here long enough and that "Zero Interest" you was mentioning. Will lead to I will make just one batch to see if I like it. Then your hooked. Once you get hooked there is NO turning back!! Just ask Classicrockgriller!!

The Sausage Pusher Man
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mjdeez

QuoteUnless I misunderstood, it seems the difference between the OBS and DBS is that the DBS comes with a built-in PID which is of questionable quality/precision, and that by getting an OBS and installing an after-market PID you can get what is essentially a DBS with better precision.

Pretty much. The DBS's controller isn't really a PID, it's just an on/off controller. Heat element turns on when measured-temperature gets below set-temperature minus 10 deg. Heat element turns off when measured-temp reaches set-temp. Rinse and repeat. So you have at least 10 deg error there, plus overshoot / undershoot of temperatures when the element turns off / on.  PID is much better controlled as GusRobin and others mentioned.

One other note about the DBS is the max time you can set it for is 9h40m. After that time expires, the heating element turns off, or you can bump up the timer anytime mid-cook. It's never been an issue for me. If I start a butt / brisket the evening before, I just bump it back to 9:40 before i go to bed.  I don't have an OBS but I think it just stays on, not sure.