Eye of the round roast

Started by w3bcy, August 20, 2005, 08:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3bcy

I have one that is about 3 lbs. I would like to smoke it along with a whole chicken tomorrow. The chicken will be brined over night and will smoke 2-3 hours (maybe a little more).My question: Could I treat the roast like a beef brisket?

The shape of the roast is like a cylindar, but larger at one end than the other. Normally, I cook these on the grill fat side up, indirect heat, and they are great. But, why not in the BS and get a nice smoke flavor?[8D]

Looking for smokin help.

Barney

W3BCY
Barney

oguard

Yes you can.I inject mine with some apple juice(unsweetend)sprinkle with your rub and place in smoker and cook to desired int. temp.I find putting some cheap bacon on the rack above the roast helps it stay moist.Pull out of smoker and FTC for 1-2 hrs before serving.Good luck and happy smoking.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

JJC

Hi Barney--a belated welcome to the Forum.  Mike is spot-on with his advice about the eye-round.  I've done a couple (without the apple juice injection, which sounds really good) with the cheap bacon above it.  Crumble up the bacon and use it on the salad--really complements the smoked eye round.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

My 2-cents... If this is your first time with beef in the bradley then do not exceed 2 hours of smoke.  If it is not enough then next time increase the smoke time.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

So Barney--how did it turn out?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

ListerD

Yeah... I was thinking of doing one tomorrow...

Temp and time info?

The last one I did at 200 for about 4 hours until temp was reached. But I wasn't too happy with the result.

Oldman

I been thinking about doing small top round. I think I will do it the same way I did the brisket, but at a much lower heat.

Get some beef fat and place in on the rack above the round.
Temp will be 180 instead of 205 F.
2 hours smoke instead of 4.
Wrap in foil and return to smoker.
Remove at 135F
FTC

Salt and Pepper only.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

GrillinFool

I have a top round smoking right now to be used for sandwhiches. I couldnt stop thinking about Olds pepper beef. So 4 days ago i put the roast in Mojo marinade in a bag. left that in the fridge for 30 hours or so and then rolled it in even amounts of kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Completely covered in thick rub, wrapped that up and into the fridge for 3 days. everything smelled so good in the fridge that i had to cook it tonight.

it has been iin for a few hours. 4 hours smoke and I am pulling it out at 140F internal. The box temp has been climbing from 160 slowly up to 200 now. Oak and pecan.

I have no idea what to expect, this is completely and experiment for me, but i dont know if i can wait until tomorrow to taste it, but i want it to be cold when i try it.

ListerD

This is what's going in:

Bottom round

Bacon on the rack above the round
180 F
2 hours smoke
foil and return to smoker
Apple juice injected
Salt, pepper, and a little italian seasoning I like.

Going to remove at ~145-150 (I like mine a little more done[:)]) and then FTC.

Will let you know how it comes out.

Also throwing in some boneless ribs (shoulder cut - look wonderful!) & polish sausage for a neighbor.

w3bcy

Sorry I haven't been able to respond before now. Something about work getting in the way.

The eye round and chicken experiment worked fine. Top rack, bacon slices. Next rack, eye round. Next rack, whole chicken. Bottom rack, ABT's.

Started all at same time. Used pecan & apple (alternated) 4 pucks each. Cabinet temp 190-200 max.

Pulles ABT's first and passed around as orderves (sp). They were a big hit. Some were hotter than others. Chicken was ready after 3 1/2 hours and beef was 140 degrees at 4 hours. FTC'd both for 1 hour.

Chicken needed more smoke, IMO. Beef was just right. Rub my wife used on the beef, which was mainly pepper, caused the overall taste to remind me of pastrami. That is going to be something I want to try. Any pastrami  ideas?

W3BCY
Barney

Habanero Smoker

I never FTC chicken; I feel the procedure makes the skin get more rubbery.

I did pastrami, and everyone I shared it with enjoyed it:
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1754

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ListerD

Mine took about 4 hours to reach 145F and I left it at that. FTC for 1/5 hours.

Not too bad. Needed more injection, I went a little on the light side.

Perfect 1/4" smoke ring. Pics tomorrow.

ListerD

Ooh... I forgot to post the photo...

chunkyluvr57

yo....i asked the same thing on page 3 of the forum..lol, but listen, dont go over 5 puks, that was the best advice.

smokey butt

MallardWacker

Looking at that and not getting any would almost make me slap my MIL.  Dang good Lister.  I will guarantee you that there is not many Unix guys that smoke and if they did they are probably thinking about a different type smoke and listening to the Doobie Brothers why they have some foreign apparatus in there hand.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...