Cold or hot smoked salmon

Started by mjdeez, February 04, 2011, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdeez

Hi everybody,
I've got quite a bit planned for Saturday night into Sunday (pork butt and brisket going in Sat night, ribs going in Sunday morning), so I'm not sure what I want to do about my smoked salmon.

I'm buying a good quality salmon fillet or two, but I dunno if I want to cold or hot smoke it. Basically if the brisket and butt are done early sunday, I can put the ribs in my Weber charcoal smoker and then use the Bradley to smoke the salmon at whatever temps I need (cold or hot).

But if the Butt / Brisket are not done then I need the room in the bradley for all that hot smoking. Maybe i can figure out a way to get a lower temp smoke in my weber for the salmon.

I dunno -- I have never smoked fish. I like lox, and I like cooked salmon, so I'm on the fence about that, even though i know it's kind of oranges and apples.

Any suggestions?

FLBentRider

I've done hot smoked salmon. I have some wild Alaskan salmon in the freezer for lox someday.

It is my understanding that lox has a dry curing stage that takes at least overnight.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

If the butt and brisket are not finished you could always transfer them to your house oven and finish them there, freeing up your Bradley for the salmon.

mjdeez

QuoteIf the butt and brisket are not finished you could always transfer them to your house oven and finish them there, freeing up your Bradley for the salmon.

Yeah I may do that. Thanks.