New puck Idea maybe

Started by mitchf350, January 31, 2011, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchf350

Ok ive been thinking about alternative pucks. My idear is to get some timken bearing races with a od the same size as a bradey puck then fill that with small wood chips like a chain saw throws out. My reasoning is that I do some chainsaw carving and have alot of different wood chips. I do not use a petrol based oil for my bar and chain, I use 100% canola. I know that these would have to be manualy advanced/filled. Just a idea to maybe try a unique type of wood for some exra kick! What do you all think?

classicrockgriller

Sounds like a fun project

You could use a cold smoke adaptor so you wouldn't lose the heat

when you open the door to change the wood chips.

Maybe a thin piece of metal under the race that you could slide out

after setting it on the hot plate. That way you could load the chips up

outside the generator.

SoCalBuilder

An interesting thing to do would be to weigh a Bradley bisquette and then wiegh your loose shavings and see how much material you need to compress to get a comparable amount of material into the raceway. Let us know how it turns out.

TestRocket

Or use the race and a press and see if you could compact the chips into a puck?

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 31, 2011, 02:29:01 PM
An interesting thing to do would be to weigh a Bradley bisquette and then wiegh your loose shavings and see how much material you need to compress to get a comparable amount of

On Average the bisquettes should be 17 - 20 grams. or 0.00002 Metric Tons

Brian.

steve-o

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on January 31, 2011, 05:25:31 PM
Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 31, 2011, 02:29:01 PM
An interesting thing to do would be to weigh a Bradley bisquette and then wiegh your loose shavings and see how much material you need to compress to get a comparable amount of

Brian.

;D I'm glad you put the metric tons in thats all my scale reads  ;)

Habanero Smoker

That's a good idea to use the chips for smoking. If you don't intend to compress the chips into bisquettes there and an alternative way to smoke wood chips to flavor the food in your Bradley.

You can use the cold smoke setup, a hot plate, pan and your wood chips. It may be better to build a cold box, the Bradley's Cold Smoke box it a little too small for most hot plates.
Using Other Woods.

Here are some other instructions:
Cold Smoking

If you are going to use it frequently, some have made theirs out of wood, and/or metal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on January 31, 2011, 05:25:31 PM

Brian.

;)

Let's see - at Y&P's standard price on 120 packs that makes them a bit over $14,000/metric ton.    :o

Never thought of the value of woodchips or sawdust before.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

mow_delon

Thats a good idea, but I think I can help you out a little more.  I took a length of exhaust pipe the same O.D. as a puck and cut it into slices the same thickness as a puck (make sure to cut slices square and at least as thick as a puck or they will jam in the advance mechanism).  The amount of pipe it took to make 10 of these slices was like 5 bucks.  Then I took some thin tin, cut circles and bronzed it to the bottom of the slices (this took a little practice to not melt anythin and get it to hold).  I personally use router shavings to fill my cups.  Fill the cups, stack in the same as pucks and watch the smoke roll.  Works well and wood shavings burn completely through.

Thunder Fish

"Then I took some thin tin, cut circles".........................hope by tin ya don't mean galvanized sheet metal................the zinc off that is not good for you