obs venting

Started by rkp, February 05, 2011, 05:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkp

I just pulled a batch of slim jim's out, was having trouble getting an IT of 152 and found a white powder on the sticks. Upon further inspection I found my 3" gal. vent pipe was dripping into the obs with condensate. Has anybody seen this problem?
OBS w/ auber pid

Quarlow

How wide did you have your vent open? If you keep the vent closed or barely open you won't evacuate the moisture in the cabinet. The moisture keeps the temp down plus you will end up with rain inside. Moisture will run back into the smoke generator and ruin it, moisture will flow down and saturate the bottom and it will leak for weeks. You got to keep that vent open. Half to 3/4's for most things and wide open for poultry.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

rkp

Thanks Quarlow, yeah I had it 1/4 open. It was dripping right from the top just to the side of the vent. I'm hopin the sticks don't pickup any taste from the condensate.  
OBS w/ auber pid

Quarlow

Give them a wipe down or even a rinse. They should be ok. But now you know for next time. And you will do excellent.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

schneep

I learned the hard way about venting and it wasn't a good experience.
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

classicrockgriller

Here is some good info from the recipe site.

What is the purpose of the vent, and how should I adjust it?

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=780#post780