A Lurker Makes His Move

Started by Canadian_Smoke, August 23, 2005, 12:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian_Smoke

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for the better part of a year now and I have finally taken that big step and bought myself a Bradley Original Smoker [8D]

I can't wait until the weekend to try this out, but in the meantime I'll condition my new pride and joy and try to decide what I will attempt first in my new BS.

I've only been smoking for about 3 years now, but I've gotten some nice results with my MECO water smoker.  I'm looking forward to taking that "next step" to see what kind of result I will get with a better quality machine.

I've already read a number of posts and I know that nOOb posts like this are a dime a dozen, BUT I would appreciate any additional tips that you would like to share.  Maybe some of you long time BSers can give me your Number One tip to help ensure that my first BS experience turns out [:D] instead of [xx(]

I look forward to learning more about my new BS and to continuing to read and participate in this very valuable forum.

Cheers for now.

CS

<b>Carpe Diem</b> does <b>NOT</b> mean catch of the day

Fuzzybear

Welcome Canadian Smoker!  I used to have the MECO - it was "ok" at best - nothing beats Mr. Bradley in my opinion! - get a couple of thermometers from Chez (the one's you stick in the meat for an accurate temp)  Take the time to brine and marinate...otherwise, you've already been smoking and know what you like - just keep doing it!!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Arcs_n_Sparks

Canadian_Smoke,

Welcome to the forum! Hard to go wrong with the BS, especially if you start with a light smoke and work your way up to how you like it.

As you can tell, a lot of good advice and receipes here. Let us know how the inaugural smoke goes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

nsxbill

Welcome!

Many of us have tried other smokers, and to me, the BS was a good move up for ease of use and, of course, the end result.

Keep us posted on how things are going, and remember the stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

I still find myself going to my Meco smoker when I have time - I love smoking with peach wood; but nothing beats the ease and consistency of the Bradley. In addition to the thermometer (I prefer the Maverick ET-73), you should get 2 or 3 Bubba pucks, and a set of jerky shelves for Chez.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Canadian_Smoke

Habanero Smoker - I spent over two hours looking for someone who is either located in Canada or who will ship a Maverick ET-73 to Canada but unless I want to part with one if not two of my childern or the better part of an entire year's pay check I think that I'm SOL [:(!]

If anyone knows of a place where a Canuck can get his greasy hands (I'm preping chicken) on one I'd certainly appreciate the heads up.

CS

Habanero Smoker

Overstock.com has the ET-7, and they do international shipping (I'm not sure of the cost, but it should be reasonable). The ET-7 is similiar to the ET-73, but instead of having a food and cabinet sensor, it has two food sensors, and it has a lot more bells and whistles. One sensor can be converted to a cabinet sensor.

If you want to check it out, it is at this site http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=482138

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

Greetings and welcome!

I think I should have never posted about that word nOOb! LOL!!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Canadian_Smoke</i>
<br />I spent over two hours looking for someone who is either located in Canada or who will ship a Maverick ET-73 to Canada but unless I want to part with one if not two of my childern or the better part of an entire year's pay check I think that I'm SOL [:(!]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Canadian Smoke - first - <font color="red">Welcome</font id="red"> ... another Canuck to share with[:)]
Secondly you need to take an assessment of your needs.  The Maverick is very popular here, and I can really see the value in the two prong unit to watch cabinet temp.  I am at the mercy of my door thermo.  But if the Mav is too pricy, you can pick up a single probe Nexxen at Radio Shack for $25CDN.

I wish I could recommend it as strongly as thunder fish does, but I've toasted up two of them.  I now have the Bradley branded model and it has worked well, but I only used it once.  The Nexxen's were great while they lasted, but they wound up way off temp and it was not a battery problem.  Maybe I wrecked them by washing the probe cord???

Anyway if money is tight, try a cheap model and see how it does, and then if you have the dosh next year get a better one.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Maybe I wrecked them by washing the probe cord???<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats probably correct. The probes are not meant to be submersed in water. Before you throw out that meter, look for another probe. A good kitchen supply store will have them. If not, they or you can order one.

Canadian_Smoke

Thanks for the link to Overstock.com [:)]
I was totally pumped seeing that they shipped North of the border so I beavered away entering the required info etc. ordering myself a Thermo only to hit the check-out button and OUCH!!! - The shipping is only a couple of bucks cheaper than the actual product....Normally I don't get too bent about shipping costs, but when the price of a $45 item goes to $84 with the shipping I have to say Thanks, but no Thanks [:I]  

I guess I won't be using a Maverick Thermo [:(]

Gordon

Welcome, Welcome!

I too washed my probe (uh, so to speak) and it did not work properly when plugged back in.  I put it in the frige, and it read 92.  I put it on the counter, and it read 117.  I put it in the ice box, and it stopped working altogether within a few seconds.  The problem was water in the probe.  So I put it in the oven and heated it up to 350.  The probe read over 400, then started to come down eventually getting to 362.  I suppose the water either boiled out or evaporated.  The temps come out fine after that.

I rely on the cabnet therm. Seems to me that where ever you put a probe, the temp is going to be different higher or lower in the box.  If I had a seperate probe, I would still have to rotate my meat. (uh, so to speak)  The second probe would be useful for the top and bottom rack though.  Knowing the cook times for those seperate racks could be useful.

I smoke 5 4# chickens at a time.  Any more and you cannot get the temp up.  Most people will tell you to leave the upper vent wide open to help with Mr. Rubberskin.  It does not help me, but I am a fur piece south of you.  My humidity may contribute no matter what I do.  Don't get me wrong, I do not close the vent - cuz that make smoke come out of the wrong spot. (uh, so to speak) - I just adjust it to help with heat retention.

I have also noticed that when smoking cheese, I have to fill the bottom two racks with pans of ice, and let it pre-cool for about 30 minutes.  There is not a real significant rise in heat after that - but heres the funny thing - The smoke does not come out of the top vent either.  It rises, and I can see a few wisps, but it comes out of the generator hole.  I figure it has something to do with temp/humidity.

It would be more like Carpe Carp.  (Seize the carp!)

Gordo

What a piece of work is man!

Thunder Fish

That Nexxus thing went out on me last weekend AGAIN(I figured here goes #4 on extended warranty) I pushed the small on/off red switch on the back reinserted the probe and it came back to normal temps instead of being 279 F outside it was 74 F.
I will keep using until Radio Shack(Circut Source now) runs out,once again "ya gets whats ya pay for"[xx(]
Oh and sorry WELCOME CS [:D]

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Canadian_Smoke</i>
<br />Thanks for the link to Overstock.com [:)]
I was totally pumped seeing that they shipped North of the border so I beavered away entering the required info etc. ordering myself a Thermo only to hit the check-out button and OUCH!!! - The shipping is only a couple of bucks cheaper than the actual product....Normally I don't get too bent about shipping costs, but when the price of a $45 item goes to $84 with the shipping I have to say Thanks, but no Thanks [:I]  

I guess I won't be using a Maverick Thermo [:(]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is an outrageous price for shipping; but reading the other posts about the short life span of the Radio Shack brand it may be a toss up.[:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcone, your other option is have it shipped to me and i will ship it to you, email me for my address,