Secomd element and PID added, now have to adjust cooking times

Started by jimmyb, February 07, 2011, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I finally got around to installing the second heating element in my OBS and also added a dual Auber PID. Works like a dream as temps recover quickly and stay right where they need to be. I love it!

I did my first smoke which was two 7# butts and planned as I usually do which is about 24 hr total time including smoke, cooking and a log FTC. Before the second element was added the cooking time for these butts would be at least 17 hrs and sometimes up to 20. To my surprise these butts took off and reached 190 IT in about 12 hrs. At first this seemed to be too quick and I was concerned. Then I thought back to the recommended cooking times which was 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound and this was right on the money. I do have to say that one butt was a bit dry and I think it was cooking too fast. I think I have to rotate these now that I have this second element as there might be a even hotter hot spot.

Bottom line is that I have to adjust my cooking times now since my recovery time is so much quicker. Not a bad thing. I was a little concerned about one butt being dry. Anyone find that rotating racks with a second element is a must?

TedEbear

Quote from: jimmyb on February 07, 2011, 08:25:31 AMAnyone find that rotating racks with a second element is a must?

I've heard of people doing that but so far I haven't found it necessary.  I've only done two smokes since adding a second element (ribs) but I didn't notice any doneness difference between the racks.  I have a 45cfm fan that I'll be installing soon, which should help keep the chamber at a nice, even temp.

Habanero Smoker

I do it as a routine even when I had only a single element. For butts I rotates every 4 - 6 hours, and to make rotating the racks easier I don't insert the meat probe until the last time I plan to rotate the racks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

I think many of us rotate top to bottom and front to back regardless of one or two elements. I do wonder that temp you had your PID set at? I started cooking at 210 in the beginning and have started using 225 and I'm happy with the time and I haven't had a dry butt yet! Overall it sounds like things are working out well with the second element. Congrats!

Habs types faster then i do. Oh and I had a phone call to!  ;)