Original Bradley Smoker versus Digital Bradley Smoker

Started by Kitch, February 08, 2011, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitch

Hello everyone!  I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for about a month now.  I have been smoking for the past few years using the Cabelas green electric smoker. (cant remember the name if it).  Its not an awful smoker, but I think I am ready to step it up a notch.  I cant believe how helpful everyone is and how nice it is to have access to all the information you guys post.  Anyway,  I have decided to purchase a Bradley smoker, but I am having a hard time deciding on the OBS or DBS 4-rack.  I can tell you that I am very nervous regarding my future purchase as I have read so many post concerning the heating elements.  My research seems to tell me the Digital version of the smoker doesn't really accurately control the temperature as well as if you purchase a OBS and used in combination with the Auber PID.  Looks like either route will basically cost about the same.  My current setup doesn't allow me to smoke during the winter, and that just wont work for me anymore.

Favorite smokes: Brisket and ribs

GusRobin

If I was going with a 4 rack I would buy the OBS (on sale at Amazon for $251) and a dual Auber PID ($185) for a total of about $436. That would give you just about everything you would get with the digital except that you can control the on off for the smoke generator better with the digital, limited with the OBS and PID. In addition if I understand correctly the digital has a time limit of 9 something hours and then you have to reset.

To me, if you are talking 4 rack then OBS and PID is the way to go. Others may have more experience with the digital. But if you want to control temps more accurate, then you will need a PID or some type of controller anyway. If that is the case, why pay the extra for the digital.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Ditto for me on what Gus said! And a big welcome too!     ;D

KyNola

I own one of the digital 4 racks and I too agree with Gus.  I bought my BDS and then found the forum.  Wish I had found the forum first and taken advantage of the knowledge here.  I would purchase an OBS and add an Auber PID.  As for the heating element issue, Bradley is genuinely looking into that.  They will eventually find out what's going on and make it right.  I guarantee you one thing about Bradley.  Those guys take care of their clients and the customer service is unsurpassed.

Whichever you decide, welcome to the forum my friend.

classicrockgriller

Agree also unless space is an issue. Then your only choice is the 6rk digital.

Am from East Texas and glad to have you with Us.

Any questions just ask and you will get all the Help you want.

Kitch

Thanks for everyones replies.  I really appreciate the help and the welcomes to the forum.  Looks like I am going to go with the OBS smoker with the single probe PID.  I already have a Brookstone wireless probe so I don't really need the dual PID.  Now I cant wait until I get my rig setup for some nice brisket, ribs and chicken.  Oh yeah, I also cant wait to try one of those fatties!  Again, thanks everyone and I will see you around the posts.  I will send pictures of my first attempt of using the OBS.

BTW, its another ice storm in North Texas.  This is crazy and the entire reason, I want a new smoker so the weather doesn't hinder my smoking!

Father Tom

Kitch:  You can't ago wrong with the original.  I have had one for three years and am using the PID with single probe.  Other than a cracked front plastic plate.  (Super Glue) have never had problem.  Will be updatinag with second heat coil shortly.  Like you, i smoke at temperatulres to -20*.

Enjoy.

Tom

GusRobin

If you budget can afford it, I would go with the dual probe. While it is not necessary, it is very nice to have in the event you want to stagger ramp up ion temp based upon IT rather than time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TonyL222

As one who has had two recent element failures, I would still recommend the OBS and Auber PID. Your Brookstone can monitor, but the Auber can control. Precise control over the cooking temp for 10–12 hour (plus) is where the Auber shines.  Use your Brookstone as a remote monitor.

Sent from my Sprint Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Kitch

Yeah, that's what I am planing on.  I will use the single probe Auber PID to control the cooking temp and use the Brookstone to monitor the brisket/meat temp.  I am a rookie at all this stuff, but I think that sounds right. I will also order a backup element.  I looked at the prices and they are pretty cheap.  Especially if you are in the middle of a smoke and have a failure!  You guys are awesome!

TedEbear

Quote from: Kitch on February 09, 2011, 12:40:02 PM
Yeah, that's what I am planing on.  I will use the single probe Auber PID to control the cooking temp and use the Brookstone to monitor the brisket/meat temp.

That's pretty much what I did on my OBS, although the remote meat temp monitor is a different brand than Brookstone.  My Auber single probe PID was a little less than $45, plus $15 for an Auber K-type TC with alligator clip, plus $15 for a 25A SSR.  

Kitch

Ted,

That is some nice modifications you got there.  I am electrically challenged and wouldn't know where to even start.  Heck, I was reading some posts regarding the dual element mod and just decided, I better leave that one alone.  I would probably just make things worse.  Well, I actually ordered the OBS, PID, Wood, and and extra element yesterday.  Now I just have to hurry and wait for it all to come in. 

GusRobin

Kitch,
If you can crimp a wire in a connector, the 2nd element mod is simple. As long as you mark the wires so you know which one is which. There are plenty of folks here that will help walk you through it.

Kitch

Gus, your probably right.  I have no doubt this Bradley group could walk me through the steps and make it very simple.  Seems like a nice mod.  Once I get my OBS all setup I think that project will be pretty cool.  Its actually supposed to be nice in Dallas/Fort Worth this weekend so my first project will be to build or purchase a home for the smoker.  I cant wait!

Kitch

Well, I got my new OBS today.  Seasoning it for an hour tonight so that I can try something perhaps tomorrow.  I'm thinking something chicken since I have to work tomorrow and don't have time for a long smoke.  How knows, there may be a sick day tomorrow. Cough.. cough...