Pastrami

Started by OU812, February 09, 2011, 09:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Had a beef brisket and was itchin for some Pastrami so I separated the point from the flat and applied the dry cure last week and here it is all rinsed off and ready for the seasonings.

All seasoned and ready for a night in the fridge.

The next morning resting and waiting for the smoker to come up to temp.

Outta the smoker and FTC for a wile then put in the fridge for a day or two.

Sliced it last night.

Got it all packaged.

Made me a big ole sammie, forgot to take a picture, and got the trimings for another tonight.

MAN was it good!

What did I do with the point?

It was an experiment and turned out pretty good.

The smoker was busy so I poached the sausage, will definitely smoke it next time.

KyNola

Man oh man, that ALL looks delicious.

Darn you Curt, you know how much I like pastrami! :D

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on February 09, 2011, 09:23:59 AM
Man oh man, that ALL looks delicious.

Darn you Curt, you know how much I like pastrami! :D

It was soooo moist and tender and the spices were perfect and combined with the smoke the aroma filled the room and with each slice I couldnt help but think.

MAN THIS IS SOOOO GOOOOD!  :D

squirtthecat

classicrockgriller

That  is a serious looking Pastrami!

Super NICE.

You might need to give up some info on the

Pastrami Sausage. ;D

wyoduke

Outstanding that looks great ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

jiggerjams

ahh ahHH AHHH howboutdarecipe CHOooo!!! ;D

SnellySmokesEm

I just PM'd you my address.  Thanks for getting some of that out to me.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

GusRobin

So was the point also pastrami cured like the flat then ground for the sausage or you just ground the point and followed a "normal" sausage recipe?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

MidKnightRider

OU812,
Looks real good recipe please.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Quote from: GusRobin on February 10, 2011, 11:25:59 AM
So was the point also pastrami cured like the flat then ground for the sausage or you just ground the point and followed a "normal" sausage recipe?

I did the point just like the flat and when the cure time was done rinsed and seasoned the point the same as the flat then when the flat went in the smoker I ground the point and stuffed.

No binders, no additional fat and no other seasonings.

Poached it in 165 F water and pulled out when the IT hit 156 F, took just over 2 hr.

Just wanted to see how the texture would be and how it would taste so I didnt spend allot of time on it.

I will make the next one like a sausage with the Pastrami seasonings and smoke it.

The my notes/recipe are at home, I'll post them later.

OU812

Pastrami

The brine;
2 cups distilled water (heated to about 140 F)
2 Tbl Tenderquick
2 Tbl brown sugar
2 tsp granulated garlic
Combine above ingredients and mix well. Then refrigerate until cold, about 40 F

Wile the brine is chilling mix up rub #1;
!/4 cup Tenderquick
2 Tbl brown sugar
2 Tbl granulated garlic
1 Tbl smoked Spanish paprika
1 & 1/2 Tbl Btuchers grind black pepper
1 & 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 & 1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp ground thyme

When the brine is cold, place the meat in a rimed pan and inject every inch all the way around. Try to get the meat to accept as much brine as it will hold. After the meat has been injected remove it from the pan and place on a sheet of plastic. Coat the meat, top, bottom and sides with the rub. Wrap tightly and place in a clean pan then place in the fridge for at least 5 days, I go a week, tunring over every day.

Rub #2;
2 & 1/2 Tbl Butchers grind black pepper
1 & 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 & 1/2 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp ground thyme

When the cure time is done rinse off all the spices with cold running water and when you think your done do it again. Pat dry with papper towels and applie rub # 2 then wrap in plastic and place in the fridge over night. The next morning un wrap and place on a rack then place that rack on an inverted rack. You want air to get all around the meat.

Now go fire up the smoker, set the temp at 250 F and load 4 hr of smoke, I like Pecan.
When the smoker is up to temp advance the wood so the smoke starts as soon as you put the meat in. After the meat is in lower the temp to 220 F

When the smoke is done dump the water bowl and re fill with boiling water, check the water pan about every 4 hr.

The Pastrami Will take close to 1 hr per pound to cook so take readings accordingly.
Remove when the IT hits 165 F remove and PTC ( I use restaurant grade Plastic wrap) for at least 1 hr if your serving as a meal.

When using for sandwiches PTC for 5 hr then un wrap from the towels but keep the plastic on and place on a rimmed pan in the fridge for at least 24 hr then slice against the grain as thin as possable.

Enjoy.

jiggerjams

Curt, Thank you very much. This sounds even more amazing now.

Cheers,
JJ

Tenpoint5

Looks killer as always Curt
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Very good job Curt

Where did you buy the brisket? It sure looks good.