My smoker hood photos

Started by BAM1, February 09, 2011, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAM1

Thought everyone might like to see the smoker hood I had my heating and cooling buddy build me.  I bought an 80 cfm fan at Menards and he did the rest.     

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

classicrockgriller

I like it. Just hope the 80 cfm fan isn't too strong to suck heat out of your cabinet.

would be nice to have a variable control for the fan.

muebe

CRG That was my thought also. You should be able to use a dimmer switch or a speed switch with that duct fan. Adjust it just enough to pull the smoke out but not the heat...Looks like a good set-up though ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

BAM1

When I smoked 5 racks of ribs this weekend I pulled the smoker away from the hood after my smoke cycle and the temperature didn't seem to change much but I did have a hard time keeping the temp much above 205 so yesterday I ordered the dual probe Auber PID and today I stopped by Granger and picked up the 900 watt heating element.  We plan to put a dimmer switch on the fan but we wanted to wait and see if we needed to make the hood any bigger.  Plus, we were excited to get it operational
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

jiggaman

the smoke doesn't escape in that small gap?

mjdeez

There's a fan in the hood pulling the smoke out.

TestRocket

Good looking work there BAM1  ;D

TedEbear

Quote from: BAM1 on February 09, 2011, 01:38:16 PMWe plan to put a dimmer switch on the fan but we wanted to wait and see if we needed to make the hood any bigger. 

From looking at your pics it appears that there's about a 2-inch gap between your smoker and the hood. Since the hood is not sealed to the vent I think you'll be okay with an 80 cfm fan in the air duct due to it also pulling air from the sides and not entirely from the cooking chamber.

OU812

Cool hood you got goin there BAM.

I made a hood for my smoker a wile back out of a bathroom exhaust fan and a little tin work.

That sign to the left of the window would look GREAT hangin my wall.  ;D

BAM1

The size of the hood is fine.  You can't even tell we're smoking in the garage.  The gap helps with moisture control as nothing builds up.  I'm having one of the Mechanics at work install my new heater tonight and my PID came a couple of days ago so I'm going to make my first jerky on Saturday.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ