Chicken and chicken

Started by SiFumar, February 04, 2011, 02:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

So the OBS showed up yesterday.  No bisquettes then to do burn off.   >:( This morning oak and special blend showed up.)  So I do the burn off(special blend) and get chicken out.  Brine whole chicken in honey powder, salt, pollo seasoning & pepper last night. Cut open, guess called spatchcock?  Rinsed and patted dry.  Covered in CT.  Also 4 lbs of fresh chicken wings($1.50lb) just put S&P and garlic powder.  Using Polder for internal temp of whole chicken.  Now to 128.(2Hrs)  Using Special Blend.  Vents wide open.  Heat temp gauge all the way to high.  Am I looking for internal temp of 165?  On grill I do well by touch...but not to sure on smoker yet.  (only had 3 beers so far)  Hubby went to sleep(works nights)....was impressed with the ease of smoker.  But he wants to know if all you guys do clean up too when you smoke.  He sees a issue with prep and clean up...LOL! Thanks!!!

OU812

Smoked chicken will have kinda rubbery skin, if you want crispy skin you will have to finish on the grill.

I like 2 hr snoke then finish on the grill and pull off when the IT hits 165.

Allow to sit about 20 min then dig in.

Yes I do all the prep and clean up of MY mess, the eatin stuff is hers.  ;D

SiFumar

Thanks OU!  Pulled wings...tested....taste is there and it's done...but rubbery....fired up the gasser and crisped them...Yum!  Doesn't matter to much on whole chicken....just doing sandwiches.

Hubby won't like your prep/clean up..lol...Just say "he's not spoiled...just WELL taken care of!"

smoker pete

OU812 has you covered SiFumar.  I too only apply 2 hours of smoke to my chickens.  Even though skin will be rubbery it really comes out great if you choose to leave it in the OBS.  I pull it when the breast hits 165ยบ too.  Sometimes I finish off the Yard Bird in the SRG, Oven, or the Grill when I choose not to leave it in the OBS.  It's all good.

Nothing wrong with being "... Well taken care of" ;D ;D  I too also do the prep, cook, and clean up.  I find Pecan, Hickory, Apple works good with Chickens.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Sooooooooooo

Howd the chicken turn out?

SiFumar

Chicken was excellent!  Very moist and nice smokey taste.  By far easier with OBS than wood and coal!  I made hubby a sandwich out of it on a crusty roll to take to work.  When he came home this morning the first words out of his mouth were "Wow! That chicken sandwich was great!  Wish you had sent me 2 in!"  "You should have gotten that smoker sooner"  What makes it so remarkable is he only tolerates chicken because I like it.  And if I sent him in with a chicken sandwich before he usually ate half and brought the other half home for the dogs saying he wasn't hungry. LOL.  I've only ate wings all day.  I must say they were so good!   And if I find the dang cord for the camera I will post pictures.  If not....I'm buying a new camera next week! 

OU812

Good to here.

Keep it up and youll have that man lovin chicken.  ;D

I could eat wings all day too.

SiFumar

Finally got pics loaded ...hope I did it right.  Forgive me if I messed up!

Simple brine

2hrs in

Wings done

Snack

Relaxing time

kinyo

Honey powder looks really interesting! I've never seen that before.

Where did you get it?

OU812

Now THATS a good lookin pile of chicken parts.

Great job, I could down the whole pile.  ;D

steve-o

MMMMMM I would clean up the mess for that meal  ;D

SiFumar

Thanks!  The Honey Powder I get in the Asian area of my market.  Not to sweet.  Great in rib rubs if you're not a fan of sweet rubs, but still like the color sugar gives.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah! Chicken looks real good!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little