1st Sausage attempt ... Lessons Learned

Started by smoker pete, February 13, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Well, I learned I'm not the little sausage maker ... YET ;D :'(  Been putting it off for so long.  Just like anything else, you fear the unknown!  So I finally got the Grinder and Stuffer out of their boxes.

Decided to make my sausage debut with some Sausage Maker Breakfast Sausage Seasoning and 12 lbs of Pork Butt.  Followed all the great advice from this forum.  Here is my setup - ready for action.

Trimmed the Pork Butt into strips, popped them into the freezer for a while and had no problems grinding things up.

The infamous taste test.  Found the sausage to be very lean compared to store bought sausage like Jimmy Dean.  There was no fat to be found in the pan.  I actually had to add a touch of EVOO to prevent the sample from burning.  Is this normal or should I plan on adding more fat?  It was scrumptious flavor wise ;D  I've read so many members say they would never go back to store bought and now I know why.  Yummmmm ... great stuff!!

Made 5 lbs of patties

Reserved the rest for my 1st stuffing endeavor.  Loaded and ready.

I quickly learned that I bought the wrong Sausage Collagen Casings.  I bought 38 mm Smoked Casings.  Stopped when I realized these Breakfast Sausages were going to be bigger than Kielbasas :-\  Got a short feel for the stuffer but stopped before I made too many of these honkers!!  Played with them a little, twisting, tying, etc before I unloaded the casing and stuffer back into the bowl.  Since my local butcher carries natural casings I'm going to get the casings from them and follow their advice.  I couldn't even twirl these babies.  It was almost like this casing wasn't suppose to do that.

Made patties out of this batch also and vacuumed sealed them for storage.

Retreated into the shadows licking my wounds and beginning to plan for my next batch.  Going to make sure that I have the proper casings cause now that the ice has been broken ... the sky's the limit ;D ;D  Summer Sausage, Kielbasas, Brats, etc.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

Dang Pete....not bad for your first try if you ask me ;) I have never made sausage before but i think I could handle making the patties ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

Quote from: muebe on February 13, 2011, 07:49:54 PM
Dang Pete....not bad for your first try if you ask me ;) I have never made sausage before but i think I could handle making the patties ::)

That's why I started with Breakfast Sausage.  Figured if I mess things up they I could always turn them into patties.  No harm no foul.  Tastes like Jimmy Dean sausage ... only better ;D ;D

classicrockgriller

get you some 1 lb or two lb bags and pump the breakfast sausage into that.

then you can cut into patties.

Nice job. But heed these words ........... Don't do it. Quit now. ;D

Hawg Dang! the sausage pusher man!

Sailor

Nice job on the sausage.  Yep them collagen casings don't twist up so pretty good  ;D.  Butcher twine will snug um up for you when you make links.   This weekend I put up 15 pounds of spicy Italian in 38 mm hog casings, 6 pounds of Jalapeno Cheddar in 28 MM hog casings and 10 pounds of snack stix 18 mm collagen casings. 

As the Monkey said.......Stop now before it is too late!   :o 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

You might try some natural casings next time. They are a little tender but you soon figure how much pressure to put on them. If you are going to make links give them a little pinch where you intend to link them as they come out of the stuffer tube and that will leave a little room so that they don't burst when you twist them. I have screwed up my share of sausage but I just consider it a education. The sausage patties are going to be good though.

GusRobin

good first try, don't quit.  As stated, with the collagen casings use butcher twine to make links, not twisting.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Nice going Pete!  When I finally give it a try I'll be happy if my first attempt looks as good as yours.

OU812

Now that you got the taste of making sausage theres no turning back.  ;D

When making breakfast sausage I try to use 70% pork butt to 30% pork fat, the fat I get when triming things like a loin, just freeze it in 3 lb packages.

When doing breakfast links I dont use casings just use the 3/4" tube and squirt out on a plastic lined tray then cut to lenght.

When doing bulk I stuff in bags.

But thats just me.

Cant wait to see your next adventure in sausage making

jiggerjams

Atta boy Pete. I think you did good for your first attempt. Like what Kynola said I can only hope for your success on my first attempt. Thanks for sharing.

smoker pete

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 13, 2011, 07:57:33 PM
get you some 1 lb or two lb bags and pump the breakfast sausage into that.

Will start looking for a source of these bags.  I wanted to do this but didn't know I could buy the bags.  I presume they come with come clips to seal the bags and a tool?

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 13, 2011, 09:11:37 PM
You might try some natural casings next time. They are a little tender but you soon figure how much pressure to put on them.

Will do.  My local butcher carries natural casings and I'll be talking to him later this week.  Watched them making sausages and it does twirl real nice.

Quote from: OU812 on February 14, 2011, 08:21:56 AM
When making breakfast sausage I try to use 70% pork butt to 30% pork fat, the fat I get when trimming things like a loin, just freeze it in 3 lb packages.

When doing breakfast links I don't use casings just use the 3/4" tube and squirt out on a plastic lined tray then cut to length.

When doing bulk I stuff in bags.

Going to talk to my butcher about some pork fat.  I bet he'll save some trimmings for me.  Found the Breakfast Sausage to be delicious but on the lean side when frying up.

I can visualize squirting the breakfast links on a plastic lined tray cause I did that when I emptied my stuffer.  Question is - What then?  Cut them to length is self explanatory but how do you store them?  How do you vacuum seal them for freezing?  Any photos available?

Great feedback guys.  I'm learning so much ... That's what makes this Forum the Greatest ;D ;D   

OU812

OU812

smoker pete

Thanks for the info OU812.  That really helps.

OU812