Venison

Started by Fuzzybear, April 06, 2004, 01:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

SPeaking of meat!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a recipe/blend for venison summer sausage?

I'm thinking a mix of venision/beef/pork to put some fat back into it... I have no sausage grinder and no stuffer but............I'm thinking of getting one![:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

Fuzzy,  I like to use a mix of 80% lean meat to 20% fatty stuff like pork butt.  If you like the fat stuff like they sell at the store, you would have to probably go 50/50, but I prefer my summer sausage non-greasy.  The best locker in our area adds 15% in beef fat when making sausage out of venison.  If you want all beef, I would go for a 60/40 mix using 40% weight in a cheap fatty beef roast like boneless chuck.[;)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

whitetailfan

Fuzzy,
The mix that we use is 50/50 elk(or deer) with pork.  15lbs each in a 30lb batch.  The 30lbs is based on the weight needed for a pre-mix sausage spice and binder that we use, no other reason.  Knowing this ahead of time, we cut up and weigh 15lb bags of game in the fall, so when it is frozen, you just pull out one bag and thaw the exact amount needed.

The game meat has 0 fat, nothing but muscle, so the pork is needed to add back fat to the mix.  We don't look to add great gobs of fat, simply deboned pork which I would think is the equivalent to hamburger on a beef.  You don't want super lean pork, just whatever fat factor would be in deboning pork.

I have seen pork trim available at a butcher and they rate it as to how lean it is, so perhaps they can make a recommendation.

Good luck.

whitetailfan
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Fuzzybear

ok all, thanks for the input...hmmmmmmmmm...now I gotta git a grinder...................[:D] Maybe when I get all the stuff I'll do a 75/25 mix cuz the fat aint good for the ticker! (No matter how much I like it!)  maybe 50% venision/25% beef/25% pork and a lot of spice!

Grinder recs anyone?  Cast Iron?  New fangled tin/plastic/aluminum?
Hand cranking?  Electric?[?]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

If you go hand-cranked, go big, with a large hopper and at least a 3" face. You'll have to have an area that you can really get it bolted down because you're gonna want the leverage.

If you go electric it's not such a concern. If you already own a KitchenAid stand mixer, the grinding attachment will get you away cheap, unless you want to do 50# batches.

A good product I've tried is Soy Protien Concentrate from The SausageMaker. Supposedly, it helps the meat retain the fat to keep the juiciness, without requiring a large initial fat content. I've only used it on fresh sausages, don't know how it would be with cured & smoked ones. (Something tells me there's another thread about this.[:)])

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

trout

Soy protein concentrate helps retain moisture in smoke sausages also.  Another binder that helps retain moisture is non-fat dry milk which is easily available at any grocery store.  As far as grinders go, I have used a large hand crank grinder before, and you can do a large amount in a short time with the biggest ones.  I would recommend checking out Harbor freight tools.  I bought a pretty powerful electric grinder from them for around $100US (of course the directions were in Yiddis, Yovanish or some other language.  I later bought a grinder for my kitchenaide mixer, but my friend is still using the other grinder with no problems.  [:D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.