Cracker Barrel Sausage

Started by czartman, February 17, 2011, 10:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czartman

Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...

I like the smoked breakfast sausage like they serve @ Cracker Barrell.  Anyone have a similar recipe that they can share?

Thanks for any suggestions!

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum.

I googled it and drew a blank.

Maybe some one else can Help.

NePaSmoKer

Smoked breakfast sausage/Country style

This recipe is for 10 lbs. Cut the ingredients in half for a 5 lb batch.

7 lb lean beef 80/20 or 85/15
1.5 lb pork butt
1.5 lb pork fat or add another 1.5 lb of butt if you dont have the fat.
4 Tbs salt
2 level tsp cure #1
3 Tbs plain white sugar
2 Tbs dehydrated bell pepper (opt)
1 tsp red pepper crushed
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1.5 Tbs thyme
1.5-2 Tbs sage (rubbed is ok to) Use the 1.5 Tbs first, make a small patty and fry it up. If you need more sage add the other.5 Tbs.
1 cup cold water
1 cup dry milk
Sheep casings, rinsed and soaked.

Add all the ingredients to the water and mix well. Mix into meat and mix well again. Stuff into casing.

NOTE: You want to put smoke to these at a temp of 150* for 2-3 hours. You will not cook/smoke them total because you will be pan cooking later....EH

Keep what your going to use out. Place the links on a parchment covered cookie sheet and freeze solid. Then you can place in vac bags and seal for later use. Put as many links in the bag as you will be wanting to cook. Links stay vac sealed in freezer for about 6 months.

Freezing before vac sealing keeps the links from being squished while still fresh smoked.

Hope this is close to what your looking for and 1000% better than CB links

Keymaster

Awesome, another recipe fer my "Nepas Book of Secrets" :) Thanks allot for sharing, sounds Good!!!

czartman

Thanks for the responses and recipe!  I will give it a try.

If I were to serve as patties rather than links would you suggest stuffing in a summer sausage type casing for smoking and then slicing into patties?  Or should I make up the patties and then smoke?

NePaSmoKer

Yes you can make pattys and put them on the racks.

I should edit my original post to say that you can fully cook/smoke if you want to. Just make sure you have the right IT of the meat. Think of it like doing a breakfast sausage burger. If you dont have any sorts of cure then crank your smoker to 225-250 and hit the pattys with 2 hours of smoke.