Venison Brats

Started by HuntinFool, February 16, 2011, 09:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntinFool

I've been making sausage all week.  Buddy got wind and wants to do some deer sausage on Thursday.
He is clueless in this endeavour and doesn't realize the time consumption. 

Because I am going perch fishing on Friday, I was wondering.....what do you guys think about grinding/mixing/stuffing first thing in the morning and putting the sausage in the smoker about an hour later?  I typically hang all my sausage overnight in the fridge and smoke in the morning, but I am strapped for time for this one. In Rytek's book, alot of his sausage goes right into the smoker and he makes no mention about needing to hang for any great lengths of time before smoking.  Just wondering what the experts here think I can get away with.

Thanks for your help!

jiggerjams

I am no expert but I know an expert that takes the sausage right to the smoker. I would say go for it but you might want others opinions too.

Friar_Tuck

I am far from an expert, but I have been making sausage for years, and have always went from the stuffer to the smoker.
Jim

CoreyMac

I usually like to let the meat sit in the spices overnight, whether its in the casing or just in the mixing tub. I usually grind and spice the night before, stuff and smoke the next morning. Always seem to taste a little better.

I've let the meat sit 2 days in the fridge without problems if my Friday is booked up, grind and spice Thursday, stuff it on Saturday and  its perfectly fine. Just make sure you cover it well.  You may have to add a little more water than normal to get the correct consistency
to avoid blowouts, but if you let it sit at room temp for a bit to let it warm up its fine. Or just use a bit of hot water to warm things up.

Corey

HuntinFool

right on, thanks guys.  Sticks turned out pretty decent!! Hopefully perch fishing is just as good tomorrow!!!