Another Bacon Jam

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, February 17, 2011, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

I made a batch of bacon jam today, took pictures to post and then I found that while everyone here was sick I missed that Mr. Bacon (aka Tenpoint5) had posted his Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam.  I missed that one.

Well, mine's not slow cooker, so I'm going to post it anyway.  It is nearly identical to what Chris already put up, but since I had the pics already, here goes.

Bacon Jam
Makes about 2 cups

•   1 pound smoked bacon, diced
•   1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
•   4 cloves garlic, minced
•   3 tablespoons brown sugar
•   1 cup strong coffee
•   1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
•   1/4 cup maple syrup
•   Black pepper to taste
•   Optional – your favorite hot pepper sauce to taste

1. In a large non-stick pan cook the diced bacon over medium-low heat until it is lightly browned and just beginning to crisp.  Do  not overcook the bacon.

2.  Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked bacon to a large colander or strainer placed over a larger bowl allowing any excess fat to drain.

3. Remove all but 1 Tbl of bacon fat from the pan and cook the onion in the reserved bacon drippings over medium-low heat until limp and translucent.  Add the garlic, stir well to combine and continue to cook with occasional stirring until the onion mixture is soft and has taken on a golden color without browning.

4. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy bottom 3 qt saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-3 hours stirring  every 20-30 min's.  During this time nearly all of the water will evaporate and the concentrated liquid will become dark carmel colored  and syrupy.  If the mixture begins to dry before two hours add a 1/4 cup of water, stir and continue to cook for at least two hours.  Repeat water additions as needed. When done remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for about 20-30 min's.

Picture at the start of the cooking and reduction of the mixture.

And at the end of cooking (3 hours here)

5.  Transfer the cooled mixture to a food processor with a metal blade and process the mixture slightly by pulsing  for 3-5 sec's to bring everything together leaving some chunkiness in the finished jam.   Store the finished bacon jam refrigerated in an airtight container.

After processing it looks like this

A few thoughts on using this wonderful stuff ...

Try it on a hot biscuit or warm toast
Use it as a condiment anywhere you want some great bacon flavor (burger, baked potato, etc.)
Try a Bacon Jam sandwich with lettuce and tomato (BJLT)
Or, one of my personal favorites, a Peanut Butter and Bacon Jam Sandwich (PBBJ), shown here on a sesame seed bun

If you like bacon, you must make this.  Not only is it incredibly good, it is a very convenient way to have some great bacon goodness ready to use, in your refrigerator.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

wyoduke

This is a nicely done post and the jam looks great! ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

hal4uk

Heck yeah... I'd try some of that on a burger!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

Tried this for breakfast today -- scrambled egg and bacon jam sandwich ...

Tenpoint5

You really need to try it on a Pulled Pork Sandwich
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

Heck yeah... I'm going to try this!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OU812

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: OU812 on February 18, 2011, 07:54:31 AM
Goes good on chicken too.

Probably good on about everything.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 18, 2011, 07:12:27 AM
You really need to try it on a Pulled Pork Sandwich

OMG !  You win!

Just tried this with pulled pork in a simple taco - nothing but a flour tortilla, bacon jam smeared over about a third of it and the pulled pork reheated on top.  Rolled it and toasted it up in a hot, dry non-stick pan.  Over the top - nothing else needed !

well, maybe some Lipitor    ;)

Tenpoint5

See I not be as dumb as you look, I jus dressed that way!! ;D ;D ;D

I told you so!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 19, 2011, 08:04:12 AM
See I not be as dumb as you look, I jus dressed that way!! ;D ;D ;D

;D   ;D   ;D

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.