should i brine a pork butt or not

Started by Rad Rich, February 18, 2011, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Trying my first butt tomorrow. I have had one guy tell me to brine it, and another say not to. Have seen some great posts on this site and don't remember any brining.  What is it brine or no brine?
bone in butt.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

classicrockgriller

I done a butt load of butss and have never brine one.

Like you I don't remember seeing anyone brine a butt.

A butt has enough fat and collagen in it to keep it moist

during smoking/cooking. That is what you are trying to do

break down the fat/collagen.

It will be good. Good luck.

Rad Rich

Thank you.  I didn't. Think so but I had a butcher tell me today to brine it. Sounded kind of weird thanks for the help.

FLBentRider

I've brined butts using a molasses brine. It's from an Alton Brown recipe.

The brined butts are marginally moister and seem to cook a little faster, but I don't do it much anymore.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rad Rich

interesting, my brine is mostly cup of sea salt and 20 ounces of log cabin syrup.  add enough water to make a little under a gallon.  sometimes throw some thyme or rosemary and garlic powder in there with a little soy.  I told the butcher that my brine was a maple syrup one maybe thats why he said to brine it.  Im not gonna brine it though.  Gonna inject it. and smoke it and eat it.

Smokin Soon

Smokin Soon

Don't know what happened to my reply. Injecting a Butt is a lot of fun, cause you can bring in the flavors that you think were lacking on the last one. I have had some winners, but due to my own personal brining with beer, not too much got recorded. I have learned to apply the rub, wrap in plastic, inject and wrap again. I got squirted too many times. The injection will blend with the rub.

Rad Rich

up at 6 this morning to get the butt in the obs.  Rubbed and injected last night.  Smoking like a baby by 6:45.  Seven pound bone in butt. Hoping for about 10 hrs.  It's so funny, Sitting in the garage with a cup of coffee at about 7:00 am watching the smoke drift out into the air is so relaxing.  Beautiful Northwest Indiana morning.   Getting hungry already!

breches

Who needs fancy travel plans, hotels, big campers, or the like. You got all the pleasures in life right before you! If life could only be this simple.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: breches on February 19, 2011, 07:11:37 AM
Who needs fancy travel plans, hotels, big campers, or the like. You got all the pleasures in life right before you! If life could only be this simple.

It is just ask all of the retired guys on here they will tell you!! I aint one of them not for a long time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rad Rich

It's 10:00 butt has been in since around 7:00. 30 degrees outside bradley is holding steady at 225 temp slider is about 90%.  I haven't seen any temp fluctuations with my obs always holds a temp steady.  Wondering how much I should baste or mop the butt.  Smoking for 4.5 hrs.  After smoke is done  I will rotate and start basting.  Used a injection of apple juice, white vinegar, salt, sugar, and accent.  Will use the leftover as a basting juice.  First butt, getting pretty excited.  My wife asked me why I was spending so much time with the smoker lately. She said that I could probably use that time helping her clean up around the house..........   Better go stare at the smoker for a half hour or so.   hee hee

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Rad Rich on February 19, 2011, 08:06:51 AM
  My wife asked me why I was spending so much time with the smoker lately.  Said that I could probably use that time helping her clean up around the house..........   Better go stare at the smoker for a half hour or so.   hee hee

Good God Man don't let her find out how easy it is to use the smoker!!! It will ruin it for the rest of us. It is very very hard to control the temp and smoke when dealing with a smoker. It takes continuous observation and adjusting to ensure the proper outcome.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

This may be just me but I don't baste,mop or slather at all. I just let it do it's thing till done. Good luck on the butt, the one in the smoker and the one your wife would like you to get off of.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

I'm with Q.  I don't mop either for two reasons. 1. I don't think it requires it and 2. every time you open the door to baste, you lose the heat in the Bradley and greatly extend your cooking time.

The important thing is to do it the way you want to do it and for God's sake don't you DARE tell your wife how easy it is! :D

Rad Rich

Well I have a new favorite.  Hello my new name is buttman.  The butt was so delicious, my wife and kids scarfed it down.  Gave some to the folks next door, rave reviews.  In the obs for about 10.5 hours.  FTC for hour and a half, couldn't wait any longer.  Man it was so good.  Next time I will completely remove all the bark, chop it up and mix it in.  Love the butt.  Such an economical cut of meat too.  My 7 pounder was like 12 bucks and made a nice wad of pulled pork.  I was amazed at how easy the bone pulled out of the butt too.  That sounds a little wierd.