Operation NOLA Recon

Started by squirtthecat, February 18, 2011, 10:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 23, 2011, 06:43:21 AM
Is Ralph & Kacoo still around?

Yep!  We walked by it on Sunday.  It looks like they are going after the 'family-friendly' crowd, as they had a huge children's menu in the window..

KyNola

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 23, 2011, 06:43:21 AM
Is Ralph & Kacoo still around?
It is still around my friend.  Located on Toulouse near Decatur.  Interesting bloody mary's there.  They have ground celery in them along with a slight hint of catsup for sweetness.

Sorry STC, you were quicker than me. 

squirtthecat

Some more random music/food/people shots..

Street musicians.

(this guy reminded me of 'Paul')

New Orleans Navy Brass Band - 'Full Steam'.  They were fantastic.

Food, food and more food.

Got to get a Monkey shot in there..   ;)

Pralines!

Cafe Du Monde. (messy..)

And for Larry:

;D

Tenpoint5

I see they have reserved the Jumbo Sea Scallop just for me!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Pickled Quail eggs are gooood, richer than chicken eggs.

Its amazing how big the eggs are compaired to the size of a Quail.

Ka Honu

Ah, Lucky Dogs!  One of the few meat products too mysterious for even me.  I don't think I've ever known anyone who has ever eaten a Lucky Dog. I can't even remember ever seeing anyone I didn't know eat one. I don't think there are hot dogs in those carts; I think they use them to transport bodies surreptitiously out of the Quarter after a rough night.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 23, 2011, 09:07:58 AM
Ah, Lucky Dogs!  One of the few meat products too mysterious for even me.  I don't think I've ever known anyone who has ever eaten a Lucky Dog. I can't even remember ever seeing anyone I didn't know eat one.
Ka Honu, my wife doesn't think she has been in New Orleans unless she has eaten at least one Lucky Dog per trip.  Me, I'm partial to their smoked sausages.

Come back next year with your own Krewe?  How 'if we come down in a couple months with our own Krewe?

Krewe du Smoke! :D

Ka Honu

I hear you but I've still never seen it.  Until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with my body removal theory.

Drac

Checked with squirtthecat to add some more pics.  He said go.

My wife, Amy, and  headed down for a long Mardi Gras weekend.  Went to several of the places recommended.  A bit touristy yes but fun and tasty.

Did a lunch at Johnny's.  Had the daily special of a half boudin Po' Boy and a bowl of seafood gumbo -

Another lunch at La' Bayou.  Here was a fried green tomatoes with shrimp, pickles and a remoulade sauce -

Yet another lunch was at the Voo Doo that was pictured above.  A pulled pork sandwich -

Did the breakfast thing at Cafe du Monde per requirements of my wife.  The plaque you see is from another forum and is a traveling plaque.  It goes around all the members and gets pics where it goes with a log to track where it's been.  Maybe we need a traveling tongs? 

Of course the menu was beignets and cafe au lait -

Dinner one night was at Mother's.  Here it was the Ferdi Po' Boy.  The dredges were the way best part -

Last dinner was at Emeril's.  Last time was Domenico's so we thought about making the rounds.  Started off with anduille and boudin sausage plate served over welted collard greens with caramelized onions and mustard -

Moved on to grilled scallops and shrimp with mustard greens -

Finished off with the house special of banana cream pie -

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Ka Honu

Lookin' good!  The real damage is only(?) 8 weeks away.

squirtthecat

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 01, 2011, 06:38:16 PM
Lookin' good!  The real damage is only(?) 8 weeks away.
And counting!

Nice pics Jim!

SouthernSmoked

here we come
walking down the street
we get the funniest looks from
everyone we meet

hey hey were the....  (I'll just leave it at that let you fill in the blanks)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little