How long to smoke cheese?

Started by smokinmike, February 20, 2011, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinmike

Can anyone tell me how long I should be smokin my cheese? That is the only thing that I am not sure about.

GusRobin

depends upon the type of wood. I do my about 2 hrs with apple
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokinmike

That is what I was thinking......... does the smokin time go up with the weight or thickness of cheese?

devo

I only did cheese once since I got the smoker. Did Monterey Jack & Medium Cheddar, 2.27 kg each
for 2&1/2 hours and I thought it was good so your in the ball park I guess.

EZ Smoker

I've been experimenting just a bit, and in my opinion, different kinds of cheese are better with different amounts of smoke.   When I smoked cheese for two hours I thought the sharp cheddar and gouda were too smoky.   (Full disclosure: My brother disagreed and thought it was great).    But the Jarlsberg and pepper jack were wonderful.  

Of course, I vac-pack and and wait 8 weeks before my cheese is ready.   The reason I wait so long is because, after one of my smokes, I kept opening the cheese, tasting it, resealing it, and waiting another week.  Early on, the cheese flavor and the smoke flavor seem distinct from each other, and almost compete for my taste buds' attention.  But as the weeks go by, they meld into one very nice smoky, cheesy flavor.   And as I tasted it every week, I thought it tasted bad before 5 weeks.    At 5 weeks I could tell the flavors were melding, but not fully melded.  At 6 weeks I thought it was good.   At 7 weeks very good.   And at 8 weeks even better.     I think waiting 7-8 weeks is the best idea.   But that's just my opinion.    

Tonight, instead of a normal supper, I had some smoked sharp cheddar that I smoked back in November, with Ritz crackers and pepperoncini, along with a bowl of chili.   Them's good eats!

Whatever you do, keep good notes so next time you'll know what you liked and didn't like.  
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

La Quinta

I do an hour and a half to 2 hours...stonger cheeses can take a little more smoke...for instance...I do chedders/peper jacks for 2 hours but a gouda or any other delicate flavored cheese for 1.5 hours....I used oak and alder on the cheese this year..they are nice...

Anyhoo...hope this helps...

Jim O

Hey smokinmike

I do my cheese with either hickory or apple,for 2 hrs,with vent wide open,then vac seal for at least 2 weeks.

Love the results !!

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !