I'm A Pickin ... and She's a Grinnin

Started by smoker pete, February 20, 2011, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

I LOVE Dungeness Crab!!!  Volunteered at our Annual American Legion Post 190 Crab Feast last night.  With the help of all the veterans, their spouses, and some of the Ripon High School ROTC squad we managed to put on another successful Crab Feast.  Our Post has been putting on Dungeness Crab Feeds since 1946.  We served over 450 guests.

I always buy some of the crab to take home which I meticulously pick.  The crab is cooked, cleaned, and cracked at the processing facility in Santa Rosa, CA.  It's a labor of love ... and SWMBO loves Dungeness crab as much as I do but she don't like to pick it.

Here I am doing some pickin while watching the Daytona 500.

I bought 10 lbs.  You can see 4 lbs worth of pickin in the bowl while I work on one of the remaining three 2 lb bags.  Lots of bodies and claws.

In our future I see lots of Crab Cakes, Crab Louis Salads, Crab Dips ... the list is endless  ;D ;D  Course, there's just plain grazing with some homemade cocktail sauce!!!!! 

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

3rensho

Wow, that looks good.  Dungeness is one of my favorite foods but alas unavailable here. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

I love dungeness too. We can get them frozen.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

muebe

Nice of you to help out like that Pete. Crab is one of the hardest meals to eat. There is no way people would spend so much effort breaking into their food if it did not taste so dang good. Sounds like a good time was had by all :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Shasta bob

That crab makes me hungry, i to love the delicous tast of the (Pacifc Sea Spyders) up here in Oregon there $5.00 a LB.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

OU812

I love them crabs also, in fact the only thing my wife eats from the water is crab, go figure.  ::)

I was makin sourdough bread, sweet bread cinnamon rolls and sausage during the 500.

Heck even pickled some snack sticks too.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby