how to change heating element

Started by jack and coke, February 23, 2011, 09:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack and coke

got 2 elements from bradley last night.  haven't really looked how to take the old one out and the new one in.

any tips, pics, pointers would help before i try this later tonight. 

thank you.

smoker pete

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

Here is a copy of the instructions Brian posted some time back. I was getting ready to post it in the FAQ section of the recipe site.

Replacing the heat element is a fairly easy task.

Start by UNPLUGING THE SMOKER FROM THE WALL OUTLET
Open the smoker door and remove the four Phillip's head screws (two in each side of the white porcelain insulators)

Take a good look as to how the wire guard and reflector are installed and remove them. If you have a digital camera take a picture of how it is assembled prior to removing them.

Gently pull the heat element out slightly about 1 inch or so (don't pull to far or you will pull the wires off the plug in the rear of the tower)

Remove the nut on each end of the heat element and remove the element.

To install the new element reverse the above steps.

BE CAREFULL WHEN TIGHTENING THE SCREWS ON THE INSULATORS THEY ONLY NEED TO BE SNUG.
If your new element does not work double check that you didn't pull a wire off the back plug.

Brian.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Quote from: jack and coke on February 23, 2011, 09:06:21 AM
got 2 elements from bradley last night.  haven't really looked how to take the old one out and the new one in.

Ooops ... My bad!!  I saw "... got 2 elements ..." and made the presumption that you wanted to modify you smoker for dual elements :-[

Hab has you covered.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Huskersteel

I too have to replace a burnt out element.  I am waiting for it to show from Bradley so I can reinstall the new one.  If I did happen to pull the wires too hard and disconnected them from the plug in the back of the tower how hard is it to reattach them?  Do I have to remove the back of he tower to gain access?  Thanks.  Also Habs I am thinking of installing a second element with the switch could you pm me and give me your number so I could contact you personally? 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Huskersteel on February 23, 2011, 05:11:59 PM
I too have to replace a burnt out element.  I am waiting for it to show from Bradley so I can reinstall the new one.  If I did happen to pull the wires too hard and disconnected them from the plug in the back of the tower how hard is it to reattach them?  Do I have to remove the back of he tower to gain access?  Thanks.  Also Habs I am thinking of installing a second element with the switch could you pm me and give me your number so I could contact you personally? 

There is a good deal of slack in the wires so there is little chance of pulling too far to disconnect the wiring from the back. If that does happen the hardest part is removing the screws from the back panel. If one or more of the wire is disconnected you just plug the connector back into place.

I'll respond to your email with my phone number.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jack and coke

new element is installed and working. 

thanks for all the help. 

hope this one last longer than 6 smokes. 

Huskersteel

Thanks Habs,  Got it and I will give you a call this weekend.  Must have been a rash of burnouts as I am still awaiting the element from Bradley.

jack and coke

mine took about 8-9 days to get here

Huskersteel

J&C,  Just got off the phone with Bradley and they said it is on the way.  Looking forward to some smoking this weekend.

Reboot

Mine just burned up too - so bummed I can't smoke this weekend.  I got the same excuse from Bradley about there being a "bad batch" but c'mon; these things seem to burn up ALOT. 

Are the replacement ones they send out any better than the originals?  I'm curious if there's any way to repair these heating elements or maybe get a comparable replacement form somewhere like a Home Depot or appliance store.

garbadee

My element is apparently burned out too.  At least it let me finish 2 butts and 2 racks of ribs first.

So I was looking and did not see a troubleshooting section.  Is there a troubleshooting section on the Forum?

Also, as a side bar, I want to upgrade to the dual element anyway.  At this point it seems logical to buy a whole new assembly including the reflector.  Anyone sell a preassembled "kit" so I can just plug and play?

Ed

TedEbear

Quote from: garbadee on March 20, 2011, 06:18:19 AM
So I was looking and did not see a troubleshooting section.  Is there a troubleshooting section on the Forum?

Also, as a side bar, I want to upgrade to the dual element anyway.  At this point it seems logical to buy a whole new assembly including the reflector.  Anyone sell a preassembled "kit" so I can just plug and play?

Ed

From reading your other element failure post it appears that you already did the troubleshooting by plugging in the power source directly into the cabinet.  Since the power light is on that means the 10A inline fuse in the cabinet isn't blown.

There's no dual element kit that I'm aware of.  The how-to instructions posted elsewhere are easy to follow.  I added a second element to mine recently.  One suggestion I have is to use a cone shaped bit to cut the holes in the reflector for the second element so the thin metal won't tear.  The holes needs to be approximately 9/16" and I used a regular drill bit until I got it to about 3/8".

Also, the how-to says to route the high temp wires to the back of the cabinet, where you have two wires on each side passing through the back of the cooking chamber.  I just did a short 4" or so loop of wire from the second element to the first one. Really no need to go further than that.

Habanero Smoker

There is a trouble shooting section on the recipe site;
Bradley FAQ's

Additional Element & Other Mods:
User Modifications
Additional Info on Additional Element

Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.

GusRobin

Quote from: TedEbear on March 20, 2011, 07:36:57 AM
Also, the how-to says to route the high temp wires to the back of the cabinet, where you have two wires on each side passing through the back of the cooking chamber.  I just did a short 4" or so loop of wire from the second element to the first one. Really no need to go further than that.

I did mine the way it stated in the mod instructions rather then connect directly to the first element because I wanted the ability to cook with only one element if I wanted to. It saved me when I had to send the PID for repair. I was able to use the dual elements to get to temp, shut off the second element and use the temp slider to conrol the one element. I would recommend doing the extra switch, as it is a good feature to have and easy to install when you have the thing apart anyway.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.