PICKLED HEART [WE HAD PICKLEMANIA AT WORK TODAY]

Started by pikeman_95, February 24, 2011, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Well this is for Nepas. It works just as well with duck or goose breast.
I had a friend give me two beef hearts so here goes. Its time to make one of my favorites. First trim all the fat off the hearts and clean up the insides. Now I boil them for at least 1 hour. Now cool them.

Here they are all cooled and ready to slice.

Now slice up a plate of mild onions and microwave them until they are tender.

Now all the heart is sliced up and ready to pack

Now pack the meat and onions in layers

put the dry spices on top of the onions and heart.

pour on the brine and head for the fridge.

They will be ready in about a week. Stir a couple of times during that time.

kirby

La Quinta

It looks good...does the pickle tenderize the heart after it is cooked? For some reason...I would think to "marinate" it first...then cook it?

Tenpoint5

Looks good Kirby only one question where is the Tongue? It is like Abbott without Costello just having Pickled Heart!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cobra6223

Kirby, looks like a real winner , now where's the recipe for the brine and spices !! I have lots of empty jars at home .

NePaSmoKer

Ummmm

I dont know if i could eat heart :o

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 25, 2011, 05:18:21 AM
Ummmm

Yes you can it is awesome!! Just as good as pickled sausage.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 25, 2011, 02:17:42 AM
Looks good Kirby only one question where is the Tongue? It is like Abbott without Costello just having Pickled Heart!!

My friend that gave me the heart is using the same recipe to pickle the tongues. We will see if one can beat or lick the other. We are going to have a mid winter picknick.

Here is the brine recipe

1/3 cup salt
3 cups sugar
5  1/2 cups white vinegar
3 tsp pickling spice
1 tsp crushed red pepper
12 whole cloves
1 chopped Cinnamon stick
2 large sliced sweet onions

heat the brine ingredients but do not put the dry spices in the brine. They are too hard to get out of the pan. Only heat the brine hot enough to completely dissolve the sugar and salt.[do not boil] . Slow boil the meat for at least 1 hour. the cool and slice in about 3/16 inch thick slices. Pack a gallon jar  in layers and put the dry spices on top and pour the brine over them. Fill the jar to the top with the brine Refrigerate and stir a couple of times . It will be ready to eat in about a week. This is great with a Ritz cracker ,a slice of meat and a slice of the onion on top.

Kirby

pikeman_95

I think the marinade would be lost in the boiling process. I guess you could say it tenderizes it a little. The long boil also tenderizes the meat some. I kind of like the chewy texture though. This is a spicy sweet vinegar Pickle. Not hot but a little zip. 

pikeman_95

Ummmm

Rick I have no doubt you could eat this. Is there anything you haven't tried to smoke. Some day if see your cat stuffed in the Bradley I would not be a bit supprised. I can see it now "Amish kitty"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 25, 2011, 07:20:20 AM
Ummmm

Rick I have no doubt you could eat this. Is there anything you haven't tried to smoke. Some day if see your cat stuffed in the Bradley I would not be a bit supprised. I can see it now "Amish kitty"

Kirby,
Rick doesn't have cats!! Kiki is a mobile rug/mop and Tiffany is a miniature version of the same. 

NePaSmoKer

We used to have a kitty, She disappeared, told my wife the coyotes got her

Here hon have some more kitty links ummm sausage links  :D

OU812

Sounds and looks good to me.

Kirby; Have you tried this with deer heart?

pikeman_95

You bet. We have a sportsmans dinner with our churches men's group. I do up a gallon of pickled deer heart and they slick it up every year. I collect them from my deer and have some friends save theirs for me. They are great. I have one guy that makes sure that he checks for any leftovers as he likes to take it home.  I think I have about 8 deer hearts in the freezer.
Kirby

OU812

Thanks.

About how many hearts would it take to do a gallon jar?

cobra6223

Hey Rick
The pickled heart is better than any steak you will ever eat !! ;D , I also like it just boiled and seasoned a little , you know what they say , TRY IT YOU"LL LIKE IT  !! Later Tim .