Smoked Sockeye

Started by CK, November 06, 2010, 05:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK

We start off with 2 of the finest from the Fraser river.

All carved up and readdy for the brine.

All I use is 1 cup of coarce salt and 3 cups of brown sugar.

All mixed up with the fish layered for an over night soak, the sugar will turn to a liquid.

After 2 hours sitting on the racks and ready to go in the OBS.

6 hour later we have smoked salmon, they look shiney as I brushed on some maple syrup an hour before I took them out.

The fish turned our really good  8)

smoker pete

lordy lordy, that's some fine looking candy!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Slamdunk

yum yum yum

Good looking snacks

DTAggie

Kummok

Dang....Some great looking Reds....if that tastes HALF as good as it looks, I think you've achieved nirvana!!

squirtthecat

Nice!  Our salmon doesn't look like that here...

It comes on little Styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic.  (and says something about a Chilean Farm in the small print) ;)

CK

Hey thanks guys.
Thanks Kummok, I programed my PID to your times 120 for 1.5hours, 140 for 3 hours and 175 for 1.5 hours.
1 hour cherry and 2 hour alder.

Sure beats the Little Chief I used for years on fish.

KyNola

Beautiful salmon!  Love that nice shine.

Quarlow

Hey nice looking fish for sure. Did you say you brined for 2 hours before you smoked? How dry is the flesh?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

_Bear_

Looks great. I have some smoked slamon my brother gave me a couple of weeks ago in my lunch today. He goes out to Kitimat 3 or 4 times a year, he has a 32 ft boat down there he uses for fishing. Last trip out his buddies and him cought almost 400 lbs of salmon and several crabs. He gave me 25 lbs of Coho that is in my freezer waiting to be smoked plus about 8 lbs that he smoked on his Bradley. He also gave me about 15 lbs of crab legs that I have been dipping into.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

CK

Quote from: Quarlow on November 06, 2010, 10:58:21 PM
Hey nice looking fish for sure. Did you say you brined for 2 hours before you smoked? How dry is the flesh?
It was in the brine for about 15 hours (over night) and then I air dried it for 2 hours.
The amount of fish and the time it was in the smoker was spot on, not dry at all and not "mushy" the meat is firm.

Quarlow

OK it just looked like you said you only brined for 2  hrs. Good job.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

jdomep

brine, is there water or some other kind of liquid added to the salt and sugar?

Quarlow

Hi JD, their is no liquid added to the dry brine. But the salt pulls so much moisture out of the fish you end up with basicly a wet brine. As he said just 3 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of course salt. It is the way my dad has always done it and it is the method I also use. You can add spices to it also, like granulated garlic or pepper or whatever you like.

OBS
BBQ