2nd Smoke!! Going with a 7.5 lb pork butt w/pics.

Started by WISmoker, February 25, 2011, 04:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISmoker

It's only been 2 days since my first smoke, but I was getting the itch to toss another hunk o' meat in the OBS4.  Stopped by Costco and picked up a pork butt.  Dusted on

1/2 cup brown sugar
8 Tbsp smoked paprika
4 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
...That's all I can remember

Anyway...here she is before I throw it in the smoker.  I named her Peggy.

Going to smoke her at 220 degrees until the IT hits 195 with 4:20 of hickory.  Will post her when she is done.

WISmoker.

TestRocket

That's looking good to me! Good luck on that butt, but I'm sure it's going to turn out great!    ;D

devo

classicrockgriller

I knew a pig named Peggy. ;D

How big was the butt?

The rub looks nice.

DTAggie

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TedEbear

Quote from: WISmoker on February 25, 2011, 04:31:28 PMGoing to smoke her at 220 degrees until the IT hits 195 with 4:20 of hickory.  Will post her when she is done.

Are you going to let the rub set in for 12-24 hours or did you immediately put it in the smoker?  I've always put the rub on and let it sit in the fridge overnight before smoking.  Just wondered if it makes much difference.

WISmoker

Peggy is smelling delicious, but I dare not take a peek at her until she is done smoking.  She gets flustered and cold, and it takes awhile for her to recover.  She keeps nagging to add a 2nd heating element, but doesn't know it's only my 2nd smoke.

I rubbed Peggy last night at around 7.  Wrapped her in plastic and tossed her in the fridge for 24 hours.  Then pulled her out at 7 2nit and brought her up to room temp while the smoker pre-heated.  Dusted her with more rub and tossed er' in at 7:48.

WISmoker.

devo

Ah....the peggy I knew was always a little bit on the cold side to but after a good rub she would always come around. Waiting to see some pics of peggy when she is done.

WISmoker

Peggy after 17 hours.  IT was 190.

FTC'd for 4 1/2 hours and started to pull her apart.  Peggy after she was pulled.  Had to snap a picture quick as the evidence was being eaten quickly!

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)