temperature controller

Started by RJR1876, August 29, 2005, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJR1876

I have just modified my BS a bit. Bought a digital temperature controller and plug my BS heater into it. Then set my wanted temp on the contoller, and slide the BS's thermostat all the way to max. Once, it reaches the required temp, the controller will cut off the power and maintain it automatically. I hope this will solve many of our temperature problem in here. BTW, the normal oven dial type controller should work too although not as accurate as a digital one.

Regards,
Tai

CLAREGO

which temp controller are you using ?

MallardWacker

RJR,

Don't sit there and make us wonder.  What does it look like/make and so on....Sounds good.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Canadian_Smoke

I am liking the sounds of this........more details would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Scott

<b>Carpe Diem</b> does <b>NOT</b> mean catch of the day

car54

RJR1876

Dear smokers,

Sorry for the lack of details. I used a simple temperature controller you can in get almost all electronic shop (I'm not in USA and the one I used cost me abt USD 30, a Japanese brand). Will post a picture tomorrow when I have taken it. The power to the BS is connected directly to the controller so you have to look for one that can handle at least 10Amp current for 110V (or 5Amp for 240V). In addition, it's better to have one with proportional control rather than simple on/off. Proportional control means that the current to the heater is reduced when the temperature is approaching the setting, rather than simply staying on until it reaches the temperature required than off. This reduces the chance of overshooting the temp.

BTW, my first trial was using the dial type taken from an old oven. It works ok, but the accuracy of control is not there and it tells me nothing abt the temperature inside the smoker.

CLAREGO

have a question for all on this topic. by installing one of theses tempeature contol devices is this going to control constent heat throughout the bradley. If heat is coming out of the heat source will it be the same heat on the first rack as the top rack. i just dont see that happening either way

car54

Clarego

The controller would not equalize the heat.
 Olds fan will do that.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />have a question for all on this topic. by installing one of theses tempeature contol devices is this going to control constent heat throughout the bradley. If heat is coming out of the heat source will it be the same heat on the first rack as the top rack. i just dont see that happening either way
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I've been looking into this a fair amount now. I've come to find out that not all controllers are created equal. Temp swings vary. It seem to be all related to the price of the controller. No matter where you place the thermo-couple the box itself will vary in temp. even if the controller is a +/- 1 degree.

car54 is correct it takes a fan to even out the box temp..

While we are talking about the box fan I will give Chez a call later and find out how he coming along with them.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

RJR1876

Dear Smokers,

Putting a fan will definitely equalizes the temp inside the smoker, but I have yet to find a fan that can take the abuse inside a smoker (High Temp, smoke residue, vapor and even nitrite). Any suggestion?
A controller will only let us have more precise control on the temp as the BS's thermostat needs constant adjustment. I put my probe in the middle rack and hope for the best (The smoker is actually quite small so the unevenness of temp inside should be minimal).

Regards,
Tai

Habanero Smoker

Unevenness of the unit is not minimal; especially if you are smoking more then four hours. The unevenness is not only a factor from top to bottom, but also front to back. That is why you will notice that many of us will rotate the shelves both vertically and horizontally. Even if you only have one shelf loaded, it is best to rotate that shelf from front to back approximately half way through the cooking time form a more evenly cooked product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RJR1876</i>
<br /><font size="2">Dear Smokers,

Putting a fan will definitely equalizes the temp inside the smoker, but I have yet to find a fan that can take the abuse inside a smoker (High Temp, smoke residue, vapor and even nitrite). Any suggestion?
A controller will only let us have more precise control on the temp as the BS's thermostat needs constant adjustment. I put my probe in the middle rack and hope for the best (The smoker is actually quite small so the unevenness of temp inside should be minimal).

Regards,
Tai</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tai,

I have built a prototype fan. It was tested 4 times. 2 times while smoking and 2 times of extended heat. 205F - 300 F each time 40 hours.

Chez now has the prototype, and hopefully soon he will be able to offer a production model to the members here.  The test fan moved about 30 cfm. The fan blade is only 2 inches so you will not lose a rack. The production model will be an upgrade that will parallel the one I now have install on my machine--that fan moves 35 cfm. Using a probe the temp swing from top of the V pan to the top of the box was only 2 degrees. (Box was empty during this reading...no food in it.) Before installing the fan I saw as much as 10 - 15 degree swings depending upon how much I had in the box.

It is my personal belief that the way I laid out this fan, the amount of heat sinks added and the quality of the motor that this fan will out live the life cycle of the bradley unit.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

RJR1876

Olds,

Very interesting...when will u put it out in the market? Or you can share with us the design?

Regards,
Tai

CLAREGO

here is an idea. how about putting a fan on top or to replace the vent controll... an old computer fan may do. the reason i say that most are made out of plastic and if done right you can keep the motor away from the smoke[?][?]

pick

I'm new here and new to the bradley. I haven't even cooked with it yet but this is the topic I was hoping to find. I'm wondering if anyone has considered using the fan externally and piping the hot air back in between the grates. Seems horrible to do this (cut holes in the side) but I think it might be the best way to keep the heat even. A single fan inside will probably be blocked with a full load of food on the racks. If I do this I'll change my username to uglysmoker.