Kitchen Aid grinder plates

Started by Northern_Smoke, December 02, 2010, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well i have the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 Plus mixer with the grinder attachment. I noticed that you really have to be careful with how you store them because they will start to rust. I took it upon myself to autocad up a new set and since they only offer the 1/8th plate and 1/4in plate, I also did up a 3/8ths plate. I did these all out of 11g stainless steel and just test fit them. They seem to be a perfect fit. So now i can't wait to make some sausage. Just have to decided between some kielbasa or a pile of snack sticks.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

ronbeaux

Sweet! I actually like my little grinder attachement. Rarely do I grind any more than a couple of lbs and it works just fine.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

OU812

Nice job on makin them there new grinder plates.

I've got the same attachment for my KA and it comes in handy when your grindin small batches.

Easy to clean too.

Northern_Smoke

I have found this grinder attachment to work really quite well. I freeze all the parts before i grind and keep a cold pack wrapped around the grinder motor. If you cut it into 3/4in wide strips as long as the meat, it grinds just find. I have done 10 pounds at a time. But now i can try a coarse grind just like the big kids :D

Northern_Smoke

Just thought I would let anyone know that if you are interested i still have the DXF files. You can take these in to any local laser, plasma or water cutter and get them cut out of 11g stainless steel. I think for the 3 it cost me 30 dollars which i didn't think was that bad since there was no where you can buy these and the original ones are just mild steel with a coating and start to rust.

Habanero Smoker

There is a guy on ebay that sells a KitchenAid custom plate for around $15.00; 10.5mm holes. He use to sell another plate that had larger holes, but I don't see it listed anymore. He also sells replacement parts at a reasonable cost. I purchased two different custom plates from him and I am very satisified with the product and service.

KitchenAid Food Grinder Part

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Northern_Smoke

I will have to bookmard this in case I need parts for my setup.

Cleaver

Did you lap those plates?  they need to be perfectly flat for the blades to cut nice.
If you don't lap them you will have a build up of sinue and tissue that will not be cut by the blades.
You can buy lapping compound in automotive stores and then all you need is a flat plate of tempered glasss.
smear a little compound on glass and work the cutting plate in figure 8.  When the whole surface has the same colour
after you wipe it off then the plate is flat and perfect.  This will reduce the strain on your grinder.
Also when done store your plates in a small tupperware container with rice taking up the remainder of space.
It will keep your plates and blades dry.