direct heat or slow heat

Started by Kamanodental, August 30, 2005, 04:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamanodental

Hi everyone...question from a novice sausage maker.  Which is best...for sausage smoking.   Some difference in books and opinion.

1) insert into hot smoker  160 deg wait for internal temp pork?
2) insert cold or 110 deg and slow raise temp 160 deg for internal temp for the pork.  (the temps may not be accurate but the question is for the technique.  

Mahalo (Thanks)
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

calatexmex

Aloha Brother,
This is the process I use for smoked sausage.
Stuff in casing and cure overnight in refrigerator.
Hang in smoker temp 130-140 degrees. NO SMOKE.
This begins the drying process which is necessary so the smoke will adhere to the sausage. Maintain this temp for about 1 hour or until the sausage is dry to the touch. Adjust heat to 150-155 degrees and start smoke. Leave at this setting for about 1 hour. Adjust smoker temp to 170 degrees. At this point the sausage begins to develop color. Maintain this temp until internal temprature of the sausage reaches 152-155 degrees. Remove the sausage from smoker and shower with cold water for 5 or 6 minutes or until the sausage is cool to the touch. The cold shower coagulates the hot fat which helps to prevent the sausage from shriveling.  Hang the cooled sausage at room temperature to dry, this is known as (blooming the sausage) During this blooming period, the sausage will take on a richer, darker color. After blooming, which stops once the sausage is cold, it should be refrigerated or frozen until needed.
I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions go ahead and post them. If anyone has anything to add to this they will post them. Good luck

Mike C

Arcs_n_Sparks

Kamanodental,

I usually start out at 120 to 130 degrees to dry the casings for the first hour, then drive to 160 degrees in the box for an internal temp of 152.

Welcome to the forum.

Arcs_n_Sparks

calatexmex

Here is a picture of some smoked sausage that I have made. This was my first attempt a while back. I have improved since then. But this is the only picture I have.

Mike C

Phone Guy

What can you tell us about that sausage? It looks great. Is that pork? Well details I need details....[:p]

Kamanodental

Phew...thanks for all the great info..you guys are a bundle of information.  I will make a batch of Portagee sausage and send a pic of them....also...wow...those sausages look awfully tempting for a 1st try.  I know they went great with beer...any kind of beer. lol

Mahalo
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />What can you tell us about that sausage? It looks great. Is that pork? Well details I need details....[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I made those particular sausages about 3 years ago. They where about 75% venison 25% pork. Casings where natural hog. Standard kilbasa cure/seasoning. I used the smoking method from above. I used apple wood for smoke. Yes they where great with beer. Also good with onions and peppers. Kamano, keep in mind that what ever you make yourself will be vastly superior to anything you can get at the store. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. [8D]

GOOD SMOKIN'

Mike C

Lasse

About starting with no smoke at 130-140 to allow the sausage to dry out a bit so the smoke can adhere better.

Is this also valid for sausages that are bought at the store, ready-to-eat ones or just to them with fresh meat?

I might get even better results with my small sausages then.
See the ones wrapped in bacon![:D] Smoke link two.
http://smoker.americats.com/

/Lasse

jaeger

Lasse,
Those bacon wrapped sausage look awesome!! The whole chicken and bacon wrapped breast as well!!![:p]

Here is my opinion on smoking sausage.
With store bought sausage, whether fresh or fully cooked and smoked, I basically am smoking enough for one or two meals. Since I am not worried about cooling the sausage off, I usually use at least 160F and start the smoke right away. If you want something with more smoke flavor, just use a longer smoke and lower temp.
When I make a batch of sausage for smoking, I pretty much follow the same temps and techniques as mention in this thread. One of the main reasons is that I am usually making at least 15LBS and will need to cool off the product for later use and try to avoid shrinking/shriveling up the sausages.
Hope this helps![;)]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Kamanodental

Hi

<b>Question? </b> My son gave me a 20Lb sausagemaker smoker. I orderd a Bradley but still would like to use the other smoker. Does anyone have any comments on the temp holding or how good or bad the smoker is.  My son used it several times  and said he liked it and it worked just fine.  He lives in Arizona... Has amyone ever used one.? I would like your best constructive good and bads...hmmmm  is that correct english.. (Hawaiian pidgen we say "eh hows da buggah wen bus-up o wat?)

Cant wait for my Bradley.....
Mahalo
Kamano

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Lasse

TnX for the input.

Every post here with pictures of smoked food on makes me hungry.[:p]
And them with with beer or wine makes me thirsty.[:D]

I haven't made any sausages yet but with the Moose season coming up I might, just might, try it. It's tempting.
I think, without having read any recipes, that I'll mix pork and moose like 60/40 or 70/30 since the moose has very lean meat.
I need to start looking over the sausage recipe section soon.

If I make them and they are good I will post a recipe.

/Lasse

Arcs_n_Sparks

Kamanodental,

Answering your question, I assume it is like the 20# smoker from the Sausage Maker or similar. I have used those in the past. The unit works well, you just have to tend to the smoke pan. The BS avoids this chore.

Arcs_n_Sparks

JJC

Welcome Kamano!  Let us know how you make out . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA