$ for Pork Bellies

Started by Phone Guy, March 03, 2011, 01:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I am wanting to buy some bellies locally but it seams like they want too much. One place is $2.69 and the other is $2.99 per lb. It's cheaper to by loin for Canadian Bacon.

What are you all paying?.

pfowl01

I've checked around in my area and it's about the same. The butcher I talked to says the price on those really jumps around.

Friar_Tuck

The last 20 Lbs of belly I bought were 2.50 something.
These were very meaty, and no skin.
one thing to remember is sometimes the really cheap bellies have the skin.
If you are not going to use the skin, it is not really as cheap then.
Jim

Phone Guy

Amazing! I just got a call from a place called Cash & Carry. They will order me a 36lb case for $1.28 lb. That's skin on but I can deal with that. That's a huge difference in price from $2.69 or $2.99. It should be here Saturday.  ;)

How much weight do you lose by removing the skin? I've done lots and lots of Shoulder bacon and loin bacon but not bellies.

DTJ

The last time I checked it I want to say about 15%, It hasa been awhile since I actually weigh the removed skin so I could be wrong.  The last time I bought bellies it was $1.38/lb with skin on.

daryl

jiggerjams

For 1.28 lb I wouldn't worry about the skin weight loss. That is a great price. The best price I have heard. I wait till they are on sale in my area (Ontario) for 1.38 - 1.59 lb. I say go for it!!

Phone Guy

Well my Wife just picked up my order of Bellies. $1.28 lb for a 40lb box. I am anxious to get some curing. I have a Safari Club meeting tonight so it will be tomorrow before I get the cure on 'em. I also found a source for "wet ham" or aka a "pork leg" for $1.52lb. I am getting geared up to make a ham.  ;D

Brewoz

I need to call Cash&carry. Good price
Beer Guy At Snow Creek

wkahler

I paid $2.15 skin off at the local shop and they are fresh, like you have to pick them up the same day or they will keep them and make there own.  I like to support a local shop so i just stick with that for now!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

iconoclast

In NYC in chinatowns I'm paying about 2.29$ for bellies with the skin and bones! maybe  i should shop around more? at least its very fresh since they move so quickly.

keep in mind the skin may be called for in some traditional preparations....... or it may just be personal preference. all my bacon recipes call for the skin on while processing, trimming it off after its fully cooked. great for stews n beans or such to impart porky smoke flavor. also ive seen plenty of asian recipes that cook it crisp, skin on.

Phone Guy

Quote from: iconoclast on March 09, 2011, 10:36:01 PM
In NYC in chinatowns I'm paying about 2.29$ for bellies with the skin and bones! maybe  i should shop around more? at least its very fresh since they move so quickly.

keep in mind the skin may be called for in some traditional preparations....... or it may just be personal preference. all my bacon recipes call for the skin on while processing, trimming it off after its fully cooked. great for stews n beans or such to impart porky smoke flavor. also ive seen plenty of asian recipes that cook it crisp, skin on.

The bones you are fefering to must be rib bones. Those are easy to seperate and then you have ribs also. So you suggest to leave the skin on until after the bacon is cooked? Have you tried to skin the bellies first?

MidKnightRider

Local UpState South Carolina fresh skin on pork bellies $2.09
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

devo

I paid 2.30 a pound for these. No skin which I think is a bonous as I don't use it anyways. The butcher I bought these from makes bacon every wed. so if you get there when he puts in his order for pork bellys you get a better price. He told me they go up and down in price.

iconoclast

Phone Guy: skinning it once its cooked is like cutting butter with a warm knife........ since you should cut it while its still warm =) The fat should be very giving.
Skinning raw belly isnt so difficult, just start at one end, cut a little and pull back the skin, meat side down. using a sharp knife gently slice where the skin meets the fat/meat.... just like slicing the membrane fat that holds chicken skin to meat. Definitely easier to take it off after cooking.

Some say that taking the skin off allows smoke to penetrate better.... which may be true. However I have had problems with too much smoke flavor, to the point that its all smoke and none of the seasonings :(

the bones are ribs, when i take them off I sometimes cook them as ribs or just throw them to richen a braise or even a stock. since I want thick pork belly I take the ribs off leaving as much meat and fat with the belly.

In response to your questioning about canadian bacon...thats quite a different beast than bacon made from pork bellies. it simply depends on what you want to make... why not both? ;)

devo: beautiful! can you supply us with a profile shot? How thick is it? whats the fat to meat ratio like? looks a little lean. i sometimes have trouble getting the thickest pieces with a nice amount of fat.