cleaning the OBS

Started by Rad Rich, March 05, 2011, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey guys,
Doing baby back ribs today gonna use the 3-2-1 method I have read about.  Got the obs around christmas time and have smoked quite a lot with awesome results.  I have received so much great advise.  Inside of the obs is getting really used looking.  Besides cleaning the drip tray and the bowl and bottom tray, what else should I be doing to keep the obs in tip top condition?  Should I ever clean the walls or around the heating element?  It's getting kind of grungy in there.  I have probably smoked at least 20 times in it.  I am keeping the door seals clean.

Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

devo

I'm no expert but from what i read you should keep the smoke generator clean, door seal which your doing and if its starting to flake on the walls or door just take an old newspaper and rub it off. Grungie looking is good from what I read.

monty

personally i would never clean the walls of the smoker and like to keep it "seasoned".

for what it's worth here's what i clean in my Bradley:

v-tray
bowl
bottom tray (occasionally)
smoke generator feed
door seal
vent
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rad Rich

Thanks guys.  I was kind of worried about the heating element and the reflector thing buy it.  There is starting to be a little build up of crud on that reflector shield, and a little bit of crud on the element.  Sounds like I should leave those parts alone though.

beefmann

Rich,

Along with cleaning the racks, v tray, drip pan and keeping the smoke generator clean, Clean around the heating elements to keep the grease fires down or from happing. also look for any flaking from build up  and remove that , and any excessive grease build up.

TedEbear

Quote from: Rad Rich on March 05, 2011, 10:53:41 AM
Hey guys,
Doing baby back ribs today gonna use the 3-2-1 method I have read about. 

It's a bit late to reply, since you said you're doing this today.  However, the 3-2-1 method is more for spare ribs.  Baby back ribs are smaller and do not require as much time to cook.  Most people use the 2-2-1 method for them. 

How'd everything turn out?

Rad Rich

They turned out pretty well.  They defi.qtrly were in a little to long.  But there is none left.

ksidener

Hey TedEBear,

Can you please fill in the blanks on the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 methods?  I think I've seen reference to them before, but honestly cannot recall the steps.

Any input most appreciated.

Kelly

Tenpoint5

Kelly here is a link to a pictorial to get you started on ribs. Some including myself have gone to not foiling at times or at all. I do still foil mine most of the time. As someone new trying it out. Follow the steps then after you have it down pat then start branching out and trying different things to make the ribs YOUR ribs.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ksidener

Thanks 10.5, I'm back on track now.

Kelly

TedEbear

Yes, that's pretty much it.  As I mentioned previously the 3-2-1 is geared more for the larger spareribs, while the 2-2-1 is generally for baby back ribs.

3 - Three hours unwrapped on the rack with smoke

2 - Two hours wrapped in foil to steam and make them more tender.  I like to add a 1/2 cup (a little more if spareribs) of apple juice and save the drippings later to make a Vermont Pig Candy glaze. This step is sometimes referred to as the Texas Crutch.

1 - One hour back on the rack without foil to firm up the meat.  Add the Vermont Pig Candy glaze the final 20 minutes.

I leave the cooking temp at 225*F for all three stages.  Here is my latest result: