Pork butt cooking time

Started by dogstyler, September 01, 2005, 06:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogstyler

I am going to smoke 2 – 8 lb. Pork butts for a group of people in the near future.  I would like to serve it directly out of the BS (after FTC) around 7-8 pm.  The timing requires that I start smoking in the middle of the night.  Since I am lazy, is it possible to start at a lower temperature to extend the smoking time so I can start earlier?

Thanks for your help

bill

Team Dogstyler "Pirates From The Jaws"

BigSmoker

2 ways to cut the cooking time on a Pork Butt.

1.  Inject a 10% solution according to the weight of the cut you have to smoke.  Good solution is 60% apple juice/40% Dale's sauce and a  teaspoon of your favorite rub finely ground.

2.  Cut the Pork into several pieces to make smaller pieces to smoke.  This will cut the cook time and will also yield more bark[:p].

Me personally never put a time on Que 'cause it's done when it's done and never before[;)].  I always figure 2-2 1/2 hrs cooking/smoking per lb of pork butt.  Usually works.  If you get done early the FTC will keep it hot for 6+ hours.  HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

dogstyler

Thanks Jeff for the response.

I havent tried cutting the butts into smaller pieces.  At this point I would be afraid to start it early in the morning for an evening completion.  Have you ever tried starting at a lower temperature to increase cooking time--then turning up the heat to the proper cooking temp to complete?  My last 8# butts went about 16 hrs. -- I would like to complete in 21 hrs. (approx. 2 3/4 hrs/lb)

bill

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />2 ways to cut the cooking time on a Pork Butt.

1.  Inject a 10% solution according to the weight of the cut you have to smoke.  Good solution is 60% apple juice/40% Dale's sauce and a  teaspoon of your favorite rub finely ground.

2.  Cut the Pork into several pieces to make smaller pieces to smoke.  This will cut the cook time and will also yield more bark[:p].

Me personally never put a time on Que 'cause it's done when it's done and never before[;)].  I always figure 2-2 1/2 hrs cooking/smoking per lb of pork butt.  Usually works.  If you get done early the FTC will keep it hot for 6+ hours.  HTH.

Jeff

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Team Dogstyler "Pirates From The Jaws"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dogstyler welcome to the fourm!!! put your bitts in the night before, around 6 pm, before bed empty and refill water bowl, dont use the temp gage on door, pick your self up a good temp gauge,  and BS temp around 200, and i will bet you will be pulling those butts out around 10 to 11 am, fill up a ice chest with hot water to pre heat, drain ice chest, wrap butts with foil and a bit of apple juice, wrap with towel, and put into chest, few drinks before dinner and you will be the hero!!!!!!!!!!!

MallardWacker

Rob--- I LOVE YOU MAN!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

MallardWacker sorry man, i need to fix that, love you too man.

Chez Bubba

Aren't both you two lovebirds previously married?[;)]

[:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

I have also cooked pork butt at 240°f with good results.  Not my favorite thing to do but it will work[:D].

Jeff

Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ralsty

I just finished my first butt in the 4 rack Digital. It was a 7 pounder. I gave it 4 hours of Oak smoke and approx 18 additional hours at 210 to get it to 190. I have it doing the FTC right now. I will let you know how it tastes and looks when I pull it later this evening. But....Boy did it smell goooooood coming out!  ;)
Ralsty
Spring, TX

Check out -- www.hsarc.net

asa

Quote from: dogstyler on September 01, 2005, 06:36:41 PM
I am going to smoke 2 – 8 lb. Pork butts for a group of people in the near future.  I would like to serve it directly out of the BS (after FTC) around 7-8 pm.  The timing requires that I start smoking in the middle of the night.  Since I am lazy, is it possible to start at a lower temperature to extend the smoking time so I can start earlier?

Bill -
As you will see, there are probably a number of acceptable options. What I've done in the past is to smoke the butts from 7pm-11pm after coating them heavily with rub (recipe elsewhere on the forum), then transfer them from the smoker to my kitchen oven overnight at ~170 degrees or so in a covered pan or wrapped in foil. You can clean up the BS and go to bed. Then next am you'll awake to marvelous aromas in the house. I try to hold the internal temp around 160-165 most of the day. You can baste occasionally with sauce or the juices that end up in the pan. My oven goes down to ~ 145 degrees and is pretty reliable. Just to make sure you have the temp you want, put a small oven thermometer on the shelf by the pan in your oven and go by its reading. That extra time will give the fat and connective tissue time to break down, giving you juicy, succulent pork. Good luck.

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

icerat4

Well i happen to do 2 8 pounders often.And here is my way.Mustard up the pork with any king of yellow mustard.Put the rub on and then wrap in plastic then place in fridge.The next day 1-2 hours before you want to start the smoke take them out of the fridge and leave them sit.Start the smoker at 6-7 pm that same night.SMOKE them for 4-5 hours with alder or what ever wood ya like.Spray apple juice after the 3rd hour of the smoke and there after when you like.Before ya go to bed change the water out.AT about 7-8 the frist one should be done at temps of 195 .Then ftc the 1st one and move the second one down a rack lower.SPRAY apple juice again.A few hours later it should be done at internal temps of 195 remove the second one then ftc that one also.These butts in the ftc should be plenty hot even to pull at 5-6 pm that evening this ftc keep heat a very long time so dont worry about cold food.This is the best and easiest food to do in this bs machine.Make you look like a bbq champ.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

ralsty

My first two pork butts are excellent following icerat4's recipe. My only problem is cooking time. I did these seperately and each took about 24 hours to get to 190 internal temp. I smoked for 4 hours at 220 and did the overnight at 210 and then back to 220 for the last couple hours. Why would they take this long??? I kept them on the bottom rack with the vent only slightly open. My unit is a 4-rack digital. Let me know your thoughts... :P
Ralsty
Spring, TX

icerat4

Ralsty.After 9 hours and 40 minutes the digtal shuts off.Was this the case at one point.If so this is one of the down sides of having digital bs.If not one 8 pounder should take from start to finish 14 or so hours.And 2 at the same time would be in the 17-19 hours.Something is way off the mark with your times.I leave my vent completly open all the time.Hope this helps.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

heinz

Quote from: icerat4 on August 11, 2006, 12:28:53 PM
Well i happen to do 2 8 pounders often.And here is my way.

Icerat4,
What temps are you using 1) during smoke and 2) afterwards.
Any wrapping in foil or out to the elements for the whole time?

TIA - Heinz

ralsty

I understand the digital has the 9 hour 40 min max. I wonder if I have a problem with the thermostat or something. After 4 hours of smoke at 220 and 8 hours of overnight cooking the internal temp was only 165. Thoughts?
Ralsty
Spring, TX