Help with thermometer. what one do I get?

Started by mike sawatsky, March 07, 2011, 02:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike sawatsky

I need to get a good thermometer.  The one I have turns out to be junk.  I do not want to break the bank.  I would like to spend $50 or less but if I have to spend a little more so be it.  I have looked at the Maverick ET-732 and the Thermoworks TW362B Meat Thermometer/Timer.  I am going to need something to measure the temp of the OBS and something to measure internal temp of meat.  If you use a different brand please give me your suggestions.

Thank you
Mike
Bradley OBS
Little chief

KyNola

Mike,
I would go with the Maverick ET-732.  Lots of folks here run Mavericks.

Check with Bryan at Yard and Pool for pricing.  He is a member here and a good guy to boot.  He can hook you up.

OU812

smokin420

Yes I agree. The Maverick ET- 73. Then do the antenna mod,Ican get reception anywhere in the house.
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer

mike sawatsky

Thanks for the replys.  Is the only difference between the Maverick ET-73 and the ET-732 that the 732 has a range of 300m instead of 100m?

Thank you
Mike
Bradley OBS
Little chief

Keymaster

Quote from: mike sawatsky on March 07, 2011, 04:02:31 PM
Thanks for the replys.  Is the only difference between the Maverick ET-73 and the ET-732 that the 732 has a range of 300m instead of 100m?

Thank you
Mike
I understand the probe is more heavy duty and the on/off switch wont break real easy like the 73, I ordered one saturday and should be here this week, I would go with the new maverick ET732 if you can afford it. Ive been using a walmart model for a year now and it claimed to be wireless but its wireless to five feet from the base ;D but its accurate

JF7FSU

Second the ET 732.  I have both the ET 73 and 732.  The ET 732 is a vastly improved product.  I wouldn't get the ET 73 unless it was dirt cheap. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

mike sawatsky

Thanks everyone.  I just ordered a ET-732.  It was a little more then I wanted to spend but it looks like it is worth it.

Bradley OBS
Little chief

JF7FSU

Good choice.  Now you will be ready to spend the rest of your hard earned money on the rest of the gear you will need  ;D
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

mike sawatsky

Quote from: JF7FSU on March 07, 2011, 07:50:24 PM
Good choice.  Now you will be ready to spend the rest of your hard earned money on the rest of the gear you will need  ;D

It looks like it never ends.  I think the Auber PID in next.

Bradley OBS
Little chief

kinyo

The Maverick is a great choice. I really enjoy mine!!

muebe

I have 3 mavericks. Two ET73(one single probe and one dual) wireless thermometers and a older wired ET53. I have not had any trouble with these units. I have used them all over the house and have not had a problem with signal loss although my house is a one story and 1500sf. When the ET732 drops in price I may purchase one also. You have made a good choice going with a Maverick ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hal4uk

Quote from: mike sawatsky on March 08, 2011, 06:03:46 AM
Quote from: JF7FSU on March 07, 2011, 07:50:24 PM
Good choice.  Now you will be ready to spend the rest of your hard earned money on the rest of the gear you will need  ;D

It looks like it never ends.  I think the Auber PID in next.

Another thing you might look at (if you don't already have one) is an instant read thermometer.
The Thermapen is the best (about $70 on sale), but they (Thermoworks) make a cheaper one (about $20) that does a good job (just not quite as "instant").
It's just always good to have "checks", and then "double-checks".  They come in real handy.
Check out thermoworks.com --- Also, check with Bryan at Y&P (he might have them)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

CoreyMac

Sorry to hijack this thread  but I just got my ET-73 and the on/off switch on the transmitter is behind the battery cover but the receiver is on the outside of the unit. This seems silly to have to take the back off every time you want to turn the unit off, or am I missing something? Does it have an auto off on it?

Corey

OU812

Quote from: CoreyMac on March 08, 2011, 12:15:08 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread  but I just got my ET-73 and the on/off switch on the transmitter is behind the battery cover but the receiver is on the outside of the unit. This seems silly to have to take the back off every time you want to turn the unit off, or am I missing something? Does it have an auto off on it?

Corey

It was there way of making the transmitter water resident, notice the little gasket behind the cover.