corned beef ingredient question

Started by Uncle Pigfat, March 07, 2011, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

So I'm going to try my hand at corning some beef for St. Patty's day with Hab's wet cure recipe from the recipe site, but I'm not sure where I can find Juniper Berries.  I've never seen them in the Krogers or Giant Eagles around here.  I'm guessing maybe Whole Foods?  Anyone know a good place to score these little guys?

Ka Honu

Whole Paycheck should have them.  If not, pour in some gin as a substitute.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on March 07, 2011, 04:45:34 PM
So I'm going to try my hand at corning some beef for St. Patty's day with Hab's wet cure recipe from the recipe site, but I'm not sure where I can find Juniper Berries.  I've never seen them in the Krogers or Giant Eagles around here.  I'm guessing maybe Whole Foods?  Anyone know a good place to score these little guys?

Go to a health food store. I get whole juniper berries for 75 cents an oz.

Uncle Pigfat

La Quinta

Whole Foods has em...I get them there...

OU812

I get mine at Penzeys Spices, if you got one of those stores close by.

Uncle Pigfat

I got some at Andersons General Store which is awesome because they have the best beer selection in town.  Stocked up on some various types of Shiner so it was an A+ adventure.

OU812

Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on March 08, 2011, 02:35:14 PM
I got some at Andersons General Store which is awesome because they have the best beer selection in town.  Stocked up on some various types of Shiner so it was an A+ adventure.

I take it you found your Juniper berries.   ::)

Now lets get the corned beef a going.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

For future reference, you can substitute gin in place of the berries, but you will loose a little of the additional color the berries add. The general substitution is 1 teaspoon of gin for every 2 berries; there are approximately 8 berries per teaspoon (24 per tablespoons), then you can adjust for taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Uncle Pigfat

Most of the fibers in my body are regularly saturated in gin so why not my corned beef??  I have another question.  What is the difference between adding the pink salt to the brine while it's still warm vs. cooled?  I didn't really cool it much before adding the cure.  Is that going to affect anything?  This is the first time I've actually boiled a brine.  I'm glad I did. It's so much more fragrant after it's been boiled vs. how it smelled when I mixed it cold.

OU812

Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on March 12, 2011, 10:57:58 AM
What is the difference between adding the pink salt to the brine while it's still warm vs. cooled?  I didn't really cool it much before adding the cure. 

The cure is sorta dead after 140 F

The boiling will bring the flavors out of the spices, just wait till the brine cools below 140 before adding the cure.

The same goes if your adding honey to the brine.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OU812 on March 12, 2011, 08:05:36 PM
Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on March 12, 2011, 10:57:58 AM
What is the difference between adding the pink salt to the brine while it's still warm vs. cooled?  I didn't really cool it much before adding the cure.  

The cure is sorta dead after 140 F

The boiling will bring the flavors out of the spices, just wait till the brine cools below 140 before adding the cure.

The same goes if your adding honey to the brine.

Yeah! As OU812 has already stated, at high temperatures the chemical properties of sodium nitrite will change.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Uncle Pigfat

I remade the cure at 3:30 am and all should be well.  Except for the lack of sleep.  Thanks for all the help guys.