The Chicken you call "Sir!" (Or, "Yes Ma'am!")

Started by Smokeville, March 12, 2011, 07:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Chili Head

Picture perfect! I can imagine how good that is!

Smokeville

Yes, they were awesome. I haven't tried any of the 5 I did last week. They are vac sealed in the freezer. They just fit nicely into a 1 gallon vac bag.

I kind-of prefer these big chickens to turkey. Pound for pound I think there is more meat.

The problem here in Ontario is that the cheapest roasters I can find are $2.49/lb. That means a 7lb bird is expensive. Turkeys are usually .99c/lb.

Rich

cathouse willy

That is one tasty looking chicken. Did you brine the birds b4 smoking? I brined a small roaster according to a recipe from this site and found it much too salty, though my healthy eating daughters loved it.

Smokeville

Quote from: cathouse willy on April 13, 2011, 01:59:14 PM
That is one tasty looking chicken. Did you brine the birds b4 smoking? I brined a small roaster according to a recipe from this site and found it much too salty, though my healthy eating daughters loved it.

Hi CW;

I always brine poultry overnight. Usually just the standard water/salt/sugar. In the morning I make sure I wash the birds inside and out, dry them off, air dry them, brush with olive oil and then rub them with Jan's Rub on the skin and interior.

So far I've never had a complaint about salt.

Rich

cathouse willy

Rich the only one to complain was me,everyone else loved it. I don't use much salt so I may taste it more. Not to hijack your thread but is there a good discussion on the forum about brines, why, how,recipes etc? I'd like to use the least amount of salt needed.
Bill