1st time smokeing cheese

Started by mez, March 14, 2011, 10:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

Just wondering if I should buy regular grocery store brick cheese or spend the money on the good stuff?

MidKnightRider

Smoking makes the grocery stor cheese the GOOD stuff.
I did 1 Lb of x-tra sharp , 24 sticks of string and 1/2 lb of gricery store cheese this weekend.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Practice on store bulk cheese and move up to better stuff

later if you feel the need to.

ArnieM

The store stuff works.

I smoked cheese today and forgot to throw in a hunk of habenaro Gouda from the cheese shop I had left over.  >:(

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21397.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I use what ever is on sale.  ::)

SoCalBuilder

I think this is the first time I've see what a looks like cheese that is sliced and not in big blocks. You would obviously get a more concentrated smoke throughout each piece. Do you smoke for less time? Interested in the outcome.

MidKnightRider

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 14, 2011, 01:08:29 PM
I think this is the first time I've see what a looks like cheese that is sliced and not in big blocks. You would obviously get a more concentrated smoke throughout each piece. Do you smoke for less time? Interested in the outcome.

I cut it that way because I like a strong smoke. I did it for 4 Hrs and then age it for 3 to 4 weeks. ( If I can stay out of it).
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mez

Thanks for the help I bought a variety of bricks that were on sale and smoked them 2 hrs with apple.With out a cold box or digital thermometer I relied on the Bradley's temp on the digital display and watched it regularly.It peeked @86 once but averaged 77.A few of my blocks started to melt a little.Is this normal or is the Bradley's temp inaccurate?They were also a little greasy.Is this normal?While I'm asking questions can anyone re comend an affordable digital thermometer?Thanks for your help I'm still new to all this only had my DBS 3 days.

bears fan

I wouldn't rely on the temperature on the Bradley guage.  I'd guess your temp was higher than that if you started melting it.  Really any digital thermometer works, but if I got another one, I would get one that has a wireless receiver so you can watch the temp from inside. 

I've only had one successful smoke with cheese so far and that is because I got a cold smoke adapter.  My first attempt was without the cold smoke adapter and it had that oily texture as well and it never got rid of the ashtray taste because I think I got it to hot.  Much more experienced people will probably be able to give you better advice, but I think the cold smoke adapter is the way to go.  It was a night and day difference in taste on mine. 

OU812

I have found with a cabnet temp of 80 to 85 F gives me the best results.

With the Bradley temp you were probably cooking closer to 95 or higher.

As long as your cheese didnt turn into string cheese you are good to go.

Just make sure you wipe off the sweat/grease before you package and wait at least 2 weeks before you try it.

I use this thermometer.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-Remote-ET-73-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-73.htm

But from what I here the new and improved model is better.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-ET-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-732.htm

mez

Tasted cheese tonight.It had kinda of an ashtray taste still it's been 3 weeks.Will this go away with more time or did I mess this batch up?

Toker

The longer you'll keep it, the better it will be. Me, i waited 2 months before opening mine.

wthr_dude

I opened a batch the other day that I let sit for 3 weeks and thx to advice on here it came out Great!!.  I did 2 blocks of Pepper Jack and a block of Colby Monterey and both were good.

I went with 3 hours of smoke without a cold smoke adapter but I kept the pan full of ice and kept the door cracked, only got a little hot once.  I then vacuum sealed the cheese and left in fridge for a while. 

I ruined a couple batches but I have learned it can be done :)