Auber PID or Maverick

Started by lumpyk, March 31, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpyk

Bought a Bradley smoker back in February and have used in several times very happy with it.  I had  an offset smoker I have used for years but wanted a smoker I didn't have to tend to every two hours.  Wanted one I could set and go back to bed and not get up every to hours to add wood.  The BDS works great for what I wanted.  Although I did feel bad going to that instead of my old faithful smoker that I had felt was a true smoking.  It has taking some getting used to using DBS.  My only thing is the temperature swing I have read about.  I have read that for brisket, ribs and pork it is no big deal.  But this is why I wanted an electric smoker so I could have a more accurate temperature.  I have read and understand the PID and want to get one.  Just like to know weather to go with the PID or the Maverick?  I do like the idea that the PID controls the smoker and will shut off the heat and smoke what is set to as the maverick will not.   

beefmann

i have both a pid and a wireless thermometer  do i would go with both,

good luck

TedEbear

Quote from: lumpyk on March 31, 2011, 12:09:02 AMJust like to know weather to go with the PID or the Maverick?  I do like the idea that the PID controls the smoker and will shut off the heat and smoke what is set to as the maverick will not.    

The PID controls the temp to within a few degrees.  The Maverick will only display what the temp is and does not regulate the temp at all.  I have an Auber PID controller for temp control and a Maverick ET-732 for monitoring the food temp and alerting me when it gets to the temp I want.  The Maverick also has a nice feature that will alert me if the temp goes below a certain point, such as if an element goes out in the middle of an overnight smoke.

OU812

The Maverick also has a feature you can set to alert you if the set point gets to high too.

lumpyk

Well that was easy going with both.  Never have enough toys!

lumpy

It always depends on how much money you want to spend ;D