Happy St. Patty's Day!

Started by Uncle Pigfat, March 17, 2011, 06:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

So it's not terribly smokey around here, but I did some curing this week.  I corned my own beef using Hab's recipe from the recipe site.  I figure I'd share the process in the spirit of the day (the Americanized spirit at least, since corned beef wasn't an Irish thing until they immigrated here).

So here we go!

Last Sunday morning: 7.6 lb brisket, 2 lbs fat trimmed and into the brine it went:

St. Patrick's Day:  Gotta start the day off right:

After brine and a half hour soak in some cold water.  Had to cut it in half since it won't fit in my crock pot whole.  Looks like the cure did it's work:

So I'm crock cooking this bad boy in 2 pots all day in:
12 oz Guinness Stout
1 cup water
1 sprig thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1.5 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon sugar

There is a large (huge) yellow onion cut up in wedges in each pot.  Some taters and cabbage will join the party after 8 hours for the last 2 hours of the cook.

Pics of the end result to follow.

3rensho

Back at ya.  Forgot to get mine out of the freezer ::)  Gonna have tacos and re-fried beans tonight.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

jiggerjams

Great Job UPF!! that is a great looking breakfast. Happy St. Pats to everyone!!

Really that dinner sounds like it is going to be fantastic. Can't wait for the final pics.

OU812

Thats gonna be good, dont about that Guinness stuff in there though.  ;D

I was going to do some corned beef in the crock pot last night but had things to do and as far as I got was to dig one out of the freezer that I made a wile ago.

Its in the fridge now.

Will be doin it tomarrow night, still got things to do tonight.  ::)

Uncle Pigfat

It turned out really good.  The only thing I'll change for next time is less ground mustard.  Cooking it with the Guinness is amazing and something my brother and sister-in-law and I have been doing for years.  The flavor it adds to the potatoes, onions and cabbage is better than any other way I've had corned beef and cabbage.  Either way, it surpassed all my expectations and I'll definitely be corning it myself in the future.  I had drunkenly started tearing into my plate before I realized I needed a photo so this is the best I could do:

My friends wife made some mac and cheese which was really good as well.  My sister-in-law brought made some Dark Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's frosting... tasted like an Irish Car Bomb.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.