creosote cheese

Started by neocostical, March 17, 2011, 05:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neocostical

I just got done smoking some pepperjack cheese and it tasted like creosote.  I have a Bradley smoke generator mounted on a proofer.  I have two large vents that were both 100% open.  I could use a little help, this is the second time that this has happened...  thanks

howlin

did you let it sit for a few weeks after smoking?it helps to mellow out the flavor.
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

bears fan

Howlin has you pointed in the right direction.  It is a must to let it sit for at least two weeks.  The longer the better.  I food saver it so it doesn't go bad on me.

neocostical

thanks guys.  i will foodsaver it. 

Quarlow

Aand 2 weeks is minimum. 1 to 2 months is better and I believe NePaSmoker has gone 10 to 12 months.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

neocostical

how long did you guys smoke your cheese, I only went 40 minutes.....

howlin

i just did swiss with 1 hour alder.same with mozz.some use more smoke the harder the cheese the longer the smoke.
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

bears fan

I go 2 hours, but it depends on what you are smoking and how much smoke flavor you like.  Soft cheeses like mozzarella will take smoke more then a cheddar so you don't have to smoke them as long.  You really have to figure it out to your tastes though.  I know some people on the fourm go 3 or 4 hours of smoke because they like a strong smoke flavor.  I like to go middle ground with the smoke.

neocostical

thanks for all the tips guys, I cant wait to try it out in a month or two....

Indy Smoker

You should be good with the 40 minutes, but you need to be patient.  2 weeks wrapped in the fridge should make you happy

ArnieM

My last smoke was 1 hour apple and 40 minutes pecan for a variety of cheese.  They are vac'ed and waiting.

I just opened my last pepper jack from November 1st and it was great.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Jim O

I usually do 2 hrs with hickory or apple ,vent wide open, then vac seal for at least 3 weeks.

Good results!

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Reboot

Hi all -

How long will the cheese stay good if vac sealed?

OU812

I dug out some last weekend and it was almost a year old.

Tasted and felt just like it was the day I sealed it.

Reboot

You just keep it in the fridge or are you freezing it OU?