smoke coming out of puck tower

Started by neocostical, March 17, 2011, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neocostical

I was smoking today and I noticed smoke coming out of the puck tower and the adapter part that goes through the wall.  Is that normal?  I just recently put the smoke generator on and didn't notice it at first.

thanks

howlin

mine does that as well.in fact it now has a thick smoke skin on the wall facing the adaptor
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

Quarlow

You guys need to open your vents more. Neo, if you have this on your proofer you need a bigger vent. This smoke backing up threw the SG will cause damage to it and gum up the SG also.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

neocostical

I have 2 4" vents on my proofer that were wide open.  I thought that would be enough?   I have a exhaust fan on one of the vents, maybe I should turn that on?

howlin

my vents were open all the way as well,perhaps i need a fan to take the smoke from my cold smoke box into my main chamber.
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

Quarlow

Howlin you should be fine without a fan. Was it windy when the smoke was coming out.
Neo, I am no expert but 2 -4"ers should be enough. But try the fan and see what happens.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

neocostical

thank you for the info, when I get a chance I will try it with the fan on.  It may have been the wind like you said.   

Quarlow

Yeah it is amazing what the wind will do. When I lived on the cattle ranch we would wake up in the middle of the night to a house full of smoke and the flapper on the stove banging away. The wind would often come up in the night and I would have to open up the damper wider so it would draft well enough to keep the wind from blowing down the pipe.

OBS
BBQ

coreyz

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I have a masterbuilt 44" smoker that I retrofitted the smoke generator to on one side. Its thin wall steel and so the adapter plate doesnt stay super flush but I can fix that. However it seems like smoke is pouring out of the bradley unit instead of the smoker. Ive got all the vents open but it seems almost no smoke is going into the smoker. https://goo.gl/photos/6grUtURSLuityRBM6

btw the verification text is terrible when trying to post.

Gafala

Sounds like a no up draft problem, your not getting enough air in the smoker, try adding some 1" holes at the bottom of the smoker. Just my thought's.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

coreyz

Well its a propane so its got a big 12"x8" rectangle hole in the bottom already. Ill see what more I can do with it. Thanks for the quick reply.